New Liner install questions?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just recently dug out for a 10k gallon pond and have the liner coming later this week. Its firestone EPDM pond guard. Now before it goes in, is there anything I should do to the liner? Ive heard of washing and scrubbing it before hand? Is that necessary?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have read on these forums that if you use EPDM roofing material, you need to rinse it off. But if it's EPDM pond liner, no rinsing necessary. I don't know what they treat roofing material with. Maybe something to prevent mold or mildew? I have always used EPDM pond liners and have never rinsed them off. So, don't worry about it. Just lay it in there and fill 'er up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have never washed the few pieces of EPDM that I have used.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
best thing is to lay it out on the lawn on a warm sunny day as it makes it less stiff to work with .With pond liner they use baking soda but with roof liner they use a chemical powder that I cannot spell and that is from goodyear plant that is here in Danville VA .They mostly make airplane tires but do produce some other stuff .Roofing liner they say should be rinsed off but say it is not harmless to people or pets or plants .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@sissy makes a good point... if you have the space to lay it out and let it warm up, it's easier to work with.

Of course, if you're like us and install your liner in July when the average daily temperature tops 100 degrees in the shade, you'll probably melt your hands while you're at it! But boy was that stuff nice and flexible! Like molten lava - haha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587654747147.gif
@rjp44
I rinse mine off just to be safe no matter where I get it. Use no soap or chemicals tho!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As others have said, there’s no need to wash it. You’re probably going to have it filled and circulating long before you add fish. There will be things that it picks up like soil or grass before it gets set into the pond. You can filter or siphon those out.

Ask a Question