New liner over old?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm considering doing what most end up doing, expanding my pond, a little wider and definately deeper. I put in high areas that were useless and etc... Anyone try overlapping and bonding old to new with adhesives and I think some gravel at the deep spot? I have Sooo many large stones around parts of the existing, it hurts my back just thinking of moving them. The thought was to work just from two sides, the sides with the slate of course.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621894645416.gif
and welcome @apounders

Reaction score
Country
United States
All koi here, some very large, this pond is 2007. I just finished a new barrel filter as I want to add more. No plants, between the koi and raccons it never owrked out. That why the shallow areas though.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
yep, just did what you are talking about doing, seaming two liners together to expand my pond. Could explain it , but there is also a thread stickied at the top of this section of the forum by @GBBUDD, that goes into great detail and explains it better than I ever could with videos on how to seam two liners together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As @Jhn mentioned I did make a sticky in this forum where I did to my pond exactly as you are thinking. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/seaming-epdm-liner.26807/
Feel free to ask if you have any questions. Trust me I hear you on the boulders but I worked it out in my design for the expansion where I did not have to move a 3000 pound boulder. I made the design to look more natural then just making for a larger pond like a circle the fish love it at least they look like they do as they shoot in and out of the area . My build is a little more detailed and it's link is below this post

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sure you've thought of this, but the condition of the old liner will play a part in how successful this will be. If it's good 45 mil EPDM it should be fine!

Share some pictures of your pond - we love to see them! And welcome to the GPF - lots of great experienced folks here happy to share and guide you along the way!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm considering doing what most end up doing, expanding my pond, a little wider and definately deeper. I put in high areas that were useless and etc... Anyone try overlapping and bonding old to new with adhesives and I think some gravel at the deep spot? I have Sooo many large stones around parts of the existing, it hurts my back just thinking of moving them. The thought was to work just from two sides, the sides with the slate of course.
Hi and welcome! One suggestion if you do add liner is to leave some extra liner folded over on the edge where you add it. This way if the mood strikes you to enlarge it a little more the extra liner is there waiting for you! I used this little trick on my last pond to keep slowly making it larger. My wife was never a fan of it being bigger than the original size and she couldn’t quite figure out how it kept growing!

Ask a Question