New lotus brings bugs

Reaction score
Hi all!
My sweet husband gave me a pond gift certificate for Christmas this year. I went to my fave pond dealer and bought a lotus among other things. I think it has a few critters. Leaf rollers and some kind of miner. I didn't see anything in the threads about getting rid of these so I did some internet searching. I read that you could remove all the lower leaves if you have the umbrella ones to reduce population of critter. I just did that. I also read you can use BT for the caterpillar like miners and leaf rollers. I'm nervous about that. I know there are quite a few other wormlike critters in the pond environ and I don't want to kill what might be beneficial.
I also read that you can use diatomaceous earth on pond plants with pest problems. My water Lilies have damage and I thought I might try that.
There was incomplete information on line (hours of reading) about how to apply in the pond environment. Any information for me?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I clean all my plants with a bath in dish detergent and water and then a good rinse in peroxide and water and then a good plain water rinse .Then the get soaked in water with fertilizer and then planted in kitty litter and crushed oyster shells .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use Kordon Permoxyn to clean plants (potassium permanganate) if Im worried about bugs. Just mix it up in a bucket of water and soak the plants for a short time before adding to aquarium or pond.

Ask a Question