New member from Louisiana

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to introduce myself. I just got my new pond up and running. While this is a new pond, I am not new to ponding. I had a smaller pond years ago and lost my fish and plants after Katrina (and Rita, and then there was Ivan and then the nail in the coffin was hurricane Gustav.) The new pond is larger than my first pond (about 20 ft by 13 feet, 4 feet deep at its deepest point) and is currently stocked with one water lily and about a million tadpoles. My plan is to add a hand full of goldfish and maybe a koi or two. But currently, we are still adding rock, building the waterfall and designing the big filter.

So, nice to meet you all. I look forward to participating :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome from a fellow Louisianian! Where are you located? We have several members on here from LA. I'm in Shreveport, so really more "East Texas," LOL, but another member, Larkin, @fishin4cars is around Hammond. Larkin is a walking pond encyclopedia and very helpful.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and nice to hear after all you have gone through that you have not lost your ponding spirit .Remember fish will have babies and koi get large and are fussy ,sad to say no one told me that 11 years ago .But koi are very friendly and loving .Maybe you just need a couple of koi if you are up for them .I do know as a pond ages it gets easier now .I had to rebuild last year after moles chewed through my liner ,but i did get to go a little bigger

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope this works. It is a panorama of the whole pond. Ignore the ugly temporary filter. And we need more rock on the back side of the pond. And I am still working on the stepping stone pathway around the pond. And I still have to haul dirt for filling in the low spots next to the berm. And... you get the idea. Still very much under construction.

Attachments

• 11128069_10152872931377607_4168468531014979484_o.jpg
    11128069_10152872931377607_4168468531014979484_o.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 243
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sissy..ah...moles. I lived in KY when I was in college. They made a mess of my garden. My sympathies. If I am completely honest, adding fish makes me nervous. The thought of losing them really bothers me. Some days I think I might just add some mosquito fish and stick to growing water lilies.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We have 1 ponder that has no fish .Not sure if there are more .But to be honest fish just make it real and if you only get 3 or 4 it is a start. Cheaper ones are easier .If you want koi don't get trapdoor snails my koi ate them all .Good money for nothing but fish food

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Welcome CappyCat! I see your pond is coming along quite nicely!
I am from way up in currently cold right now Canada, weather was "bleeping" cold this morning! If I ever get out and travel I want to go down to Louisiana some day, cause I just love Cajun cooking and see all the big parties you guys have down there!

I was watching this TV SHOW on Tiny Houses, and I guess some people down there are rebuilding tiny houses up high, in that hard hit area. I don't know if you ever seen Tiny houses but they are way too cute!!

Ask a Question