New member from Portland, OR

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello from beautiful and sunny Portland! I am doing my best to keep a Koi pond "good and healthy" that my son and I built almost 20 years ago. I have used forums for many things and finally decide to join one for ponds and koi and this one looks like it has a lot of traffic and discussion. I have to admit there are some struggles and rarely is the pond in what I call "fine form" although I do think it was built correctly (it's like many things, building it correctly doesn't mean it's operated correctly). I have to admit that my main motivation is reducing maintenance but I sincerely would like it to become a better and more beautiful water feature since I'm also hoping to spend more time in my back yard.

Thanks!
BB

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, BB! I personally think you have chosen a great forum with GPF [but then, I'm biased.....].

Do you have any pictures of your pond, now and over the years? We do enjoy seeing what other member's pond look like, and it sounds like yours has quite a story to tell!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome BB! Show us what you've got and maybe we can offer some suggestions on how to reduce maintenance on your pond. We love to help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello from beautiful and sunny Portland! I am doing my best to keep a Koi pond "good and healthy" that my son and I built almost 20 years ago. I have used forums for many things and finally decide to join one for ponds and koi and this one looks like it has a lot of traffic and discussion. I have to admit there are some struggles and rarely is the pond in what I call "fine form" although I do think it was built correctly (it's like many things, building it correctly doesn't mean it's operated correctly). I have to admit that my main motivation is reducing maintenance but I sincerely would like it to become a better and more beautiful water feature since I'm also hoping to spend more time in my back yard.
Thanks!
BB

Welcome from a rather sunny Plymouth UK BB
The problem we have with koi is they are prodigious eaters and as such produce large amounts of detritus , where many people fall down with koi is maintenance on a regular basis both in the pond by way of water changes and the filters
Weve been koi keeping for 28 years this year and still have one koi who's been with us this whole wonderfl journey:happy:
I take it you didnt fit a bottom drain , you can more than probably retro-fit one if you dont have one which isnt a problem?
What size filters do you run on the pond as with koi its the more the merrier we have over four filters on the pond
You could more than probably knock together a larger filter out of large plastic barrels total cost to build one £45.00 UK
If we can we will help :)

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and spending time by a pond is the best part of every ones day

Ask a Question