New member from the UK, help please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am looking for someone to help me out with information, pumps etc as I have no clue what I am doing.

I have recently inherted my late fathers huge garden with an extremly large old pond. My dad use to look after his pond and once had beautiful fish, however he became sick around 8 years ago and sadly passed away; so now the pond is very derelict.

It has no fish left, the heron saw to that. The water level has dropped massively over the last few years, you can see a crack down the one side. But there is a big beautiful water lily that I have noticed is producing leaves again.

I would be looking to kinda restoring/modernising it if possible. We had discussed filling it in and creating a swimming pool area instead, but to be honest I think I am emotionally attacted to the waterlily plant as I remember it throughout my childhood.

I would appreciate some ideas, guidance and advice, if someone could get in touch and offer their time I would very much appricated it.

Many thanks, Kat.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures of what you are working with, what equipment you have. Is it a liner pond or a concrete pond? You said it has a crack so it might be concrete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The first step should be finding out what you have, and what you want. Get a large plastic container, fill it with water from the pond, and move the plants over. Then drain and clean the pond. That will show you if it’s cracked all the way through, and where it needs patched/ repaired. If your only attachment is to the Lillie, you could make the pond smaller, and fill in the rest of the area with other plants. But first, asses what you have. This forum has folks from all over, including some from the UK, who will be glad to help out with all kinds of advice. Post pictures and what you’d like to do with it, and we will help you learn what you need to get there. And welcome!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@KatDunn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our forum!

Post some pictures of what you are working with, what equipment you have. Is it a liner pond or a concrete pond? You said it has a crack so it might be concrete.
The first step should be finding out what you have, and what you want. Get a large plastic container, fill it with water from the pond, and move the plants over. Then drain and clean the pond. That will show you if it’s cracked all the way through, and where it needs patched/ repaired. If your only attachment is to the Lillie, you could make the pond smaller, and fill in the rest of the area with other plants. But first, asses what you have. This forum has folks from all over, including some from the UK, who will be glad to help out with all kinds of advice. Post pictures and what you’d like to do with it, and we will help you learn what you need to get there. And welcome!

Hello addy1 and JamieB, sorry I posted and then completely forgot to save the website and wasn't able to find it again until now.

Update since my last post...
This area of the garden is in 4 sections...2 ponds, one very large, and a smaller bog pond both concrete, with 1 section being a mass of wild roses which once hid my father filteration system and another section very over grown planting. No other equipment.

So progress....All over grown planting cut back or dug out due to poor plant quality. The wild roses cut down and all dug out, blimey the gardener was NOT happy about that it took him days. Old filteration system was put on Ebay and sold for a £5; I didn't mind at all as I have no intention of Koi or fancy fish so just happy someone could make use of it.

It rained for days and filled the ponds up by 6 inches when we got back to work. The bog pond cleared of all plants and cleaned and was pleased to find that was fine, no cracks. The small pond has had its sides raised and in line with the now empty wild roses section and has had a liquid liner treatment.

More rain, added a good 4 inches to the ponds.

The water from the large pond transferred to the smaller pond and the waterlily (which sadly broke up, so now I have several lily plants still bloody heavy though to lift) moved up there, did a rainwater topup from the rain barrels to the smaller pond.

Large pond progress is slower, Yes there is a very large open crack which goes right to the bottom, but thankfully not across the bottom. There is also an other thinner crack the other side. But it has all been cleaned. Its is now raining again and we are expected to have torrential rain over the weekend , so when the nice weather returns the plan is to make it not so deep, it is almost 8ft at its lowest point; it will be brought up by at least 3ft. The cracks will be repaired and the whole thing will also have a liquid liner treatment.

Where the wild roses are dug out completely now and will now be lined and host a shallow water garden which will lead into the pond where the lilly now lives (I am happy to say has new leaves, a full flower and new one just coming up). Originally the smaller pond and the large pond where linked by a stream and will be once again.

I haven't got as far as pumps etc, but the company that are doing the liquid lining are great and have suggested a 9000+gallon UV filter pump as I want to keep the water as clear as possible, the water will be pumped up to a water fall in the water garden so it can flow down into the stream. I will try to add pics, they arent completely updated as a lot more has been done.

Attachments

• 1B.jpg
    1B.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 2B.jpg
    2B.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 3B.jpg
    3B.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 235
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 8B.jpg
    8B.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 9B.jpg
    9B.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 246
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 13B.jpg
    13B.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 14B.jpg
    14B.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lots of potential there
someone with more experience with concrete ponds can suggest whether to repair or lay it over with a liner

Ask a Question