New member here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just one small pond, mostly for attracting wildlife. Originally I wanted western painted turtles, but captive bred stock is expensive. I have 20 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (gold variety) and 4 goldfish( which may have to go as they get so large). The white clouds are highly visible and fun to observe. I used a small armored aquarium heater this year and observed some ice, but nowhere near a freeze-over occurred with nights in the 20's for 10 days or so... this climate (Portland, Oregon) is incredibly benign. I grow miniature water lilies and either water lettuce or water hyacinths each summer. I prefer Hornwort to other submersed plants, it is great for spawning, shelter and shade.
I have very rarely been without a pond of some description, no matter where I have lived. I also have had pugs for nearly 50 years and keep canaries and dartfrogs. My only disappointment has been the lack of frogs here. I have introduced treefrog tadpoles and they matured, but either died or left for a better habitat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Leefi Would love to see photo's of all your critters/plants and pond.

Ask a Question