New member Hi everbody!

Reaction score
I'm JP , just finished my first small pond 6X6 , in Southern FLorida. I have a Savio 14" waterfall fed by a submerged 2000gph pump to aerate . I have some anacharis and some other plants I bought at a pet shop. I had 6 goldfish but only one is left. I think I need to get the water under control before I added the fish. But any ways my big problem now is murky water. Had big algae bloomabut a week ago manually removed most of it and then added some Beckett algacide. But it keeps coming back, just murky. Any ideas? Thanks for any help or ideas!!

Reaction score
In order from bottom up inthe waterfall wier, there are 2 bags of ceramic tubes for bacteria, then a fine mesh filter. And a coarse filter on top, I know its sort of out of sequence but the coarse filter is stiffer and keeps everthing in place. Thanks for helping.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
try the coarse first the fine second and the bio media last in line, and make sure its to capacity not less. how big is the filter box? can you add more screens or bio media? the weight of the ceramic will keep everything where it should be. i use scrubbies myself.... way better than the bio balls i first had.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if theyre in good shape keep em, and swap... if there is room get some plastic scrubbies and add them under the ceramics if your keeping them. they have tons of colonizing area for your bacteria. microbelifts pl gel is the best to get a filter goig

Reaction score
Thanks again, I was going to ask you about what should I use to get the bacteria started, I've heard of microbelift, so I'll give it a try. So if I can get a good colony of bacteria going that should help with the algae problem?

Reaction score
Yes, its partially shaded, but it still gets some sunlight during the day. being in South Florida makes it tough. Can I post a picture of the pond?
I'm working on the filters and getting the bacteria going, and see where that gets me.
Thank you guys for all the good info!

Ask a Question