New member in Maryland zone 6b/7.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Planning my first pond, in ground 300 gallon Rubbermaid tank, with 50 gallon above ground bog filter.

The pond will at least partially freeze in the winter. Planning to remove the pump in the winter, and run a small heater to keep an airhole but what happens to the pvc plumbing in the bog filter when it freezes solid? Pipes will have open ends but still full of water.

Will regular pvc crack, should I use the flex pvc or would that work in the bottom of the bog?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I'm also in Maryland and have 2 ponds and 2 bogs. The pvc will not crack provided the water has room to expand if it freezes. You want to keep the water in the bog in the winter so the plants don't dry out. Guessing you are planning on fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! I'm also in Maryland and have 2 ponds and 2 bogs. The pvc will not crack provided the water has room to expand if it freezes. You want to keep the water in the bog in the winter so the plants don't dry out. Guessing you are planning on fish?
Thanks so much, I was really worried. I hope to do the digging before it gets hot. Don't think I'll get fish in this year. I'm thinking just rosy red minnows next spring. Would goldfish eat them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome! I grew up in Maryland, and always like to see Marylanders joining.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1653497283197.gif
@Carol B

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grew up here, left to live in AZ and moved back here. A huge circle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome. With a pond that size, it would be fairly simple to put up a hoop type greenhouse over it for winter. It's amazing how much heat that holds and it could prevent your pond from freezing.

I'm not that far from you and have a greenhouse over my pond in winter. It has never frozen, not even close, and the filtration runs year round. The water rarely drops below 50 degrees. It is larger than yours, and that could make a difference.

Ask a Question