new member in our pond

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I noticed what looked like a turtle in our pond between some plants and the liner. Upon closer inspection, it is what I think is a box turtle?!? He must have fallen in. So I take him out thinking there is no way he wants to be in water 24/7. Next day he is back in there, so I construct some steps for him to get out, I place him on the steps and he turns around and goes back in the pond. I take him out again, this time placing him outside the pond, but near the steps.....he turns around (180 degrees) and goes back in the water. He has been in there over a week now.....will this become a problem? When he swims around, he tries to go under the water, but he can't because he is not a snapper or water turtle.... sort of funny to watch. I just want to make sure my fish are going to be OK, (I don't mind him eating a few of the baby Comets) and want to make sure he/she is going to be OK.

Thanks for any advice. I will post some pics later.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
When I lived in the east bay area of San Fransico,CA, I aquired a land tortise from Death Valley, CA. He (George) was about 14" long and loved water. I had trouble keeping out of a small, shallow patio pond that was even with the cement patio floor. He would get in and get wet and then go lay in the sun. I asked around about the desert tortises habits and most everyone I talked to about this tortise thought maybe there was something wrong with it, simply because they come from the desert. I would imagine that if the pond was deeper and he couldn't climb out, he would drown. He didn't swim well at all in the deeper part of the pond.

I thought this was just an isolated situation until I read about your box turtle.

Reaction score
Well I went to take a video yesterday of him heading back to the water after I had removed him. This time he just sat there soaking up the warm sun. He was placed on a piece of slate surrounding the pond and I imagine the warmth from that felt nice as well. I waited 30 mins. but no movement. I went out for lunch and when I came back he was gone. I looked all over the pond and surrounding area but couldn't find where he/she wondered off to. Last night I went down to feed the fish and he was right back in his normal hangout, in the pond....... I am just going to watch him closely to make sure he is OK. If he stays, that'll be fine with me. Just don't want any diseased or sick critters here....

Pics coming this afternoon.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bog or wood turtle as these guys resemble box turtles and enjoy hanging out shallow water. They mainly feed on vegetation, insects and of course small fish. He pretty much is no threat to your pond and if you want to interact with them, you can offer them turtle food sticks (similar to koi pellets).

Reaction score
If you in fact have a Box Turtle, you may want to have it checked out by a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator or Vet who specializes in turtles. Constant soaking by a land turtle can be an indication of injury or illness that you may not be able to detect. See the below quote. Best of luck and please keep us posted!

"Ailing box turtles tend to incessantly soak in water

Another surprising bit of behavior we noticed was that our box turtles, when they were feeling ill, tended to soak incessantly (for weeks or months at a time), even before overt signs of illness were evident. Before starting my field studies, I had read field reports (Penn & Pottharst, 1940; Madden, 1975) of unusual individual box turtles that remain in, and even hibernate under, water. Thus, when I occasionally noticed an individual who was always in water I presumed it was one of those unusual individuals. I was to learn otherwise." - Field observations of North America’s eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) by Wiliam Belzer

Reaction score
I will check into that. I have confirmed by Virginia Wildlife Internet page that it is a Virginia Box Turtle. I will see if I can get someone to come out and check on him.

Sorry about the lack of Pics, I haven't had time to up load to my website.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Turtle Advocate said:
If you in fact have a Box Turtle, you may want to have it checked out by a Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator or Vet who specializes in turtles. Constant soaking by a land turtle can be an indication of injury or illness that you may not be able to detect. See the below quote. Best of luck and please keep us posted!

"Ailing box turtles tend to incessantly soak in water

Another surprising bit of behavior we noticed was that our box turtles, when they were feeling ill, tended to soak incessantly (for weeks or months at a time), even before overt signs of illness were evident. Before starting my field studies, I had read field reports (Penn & Pottharst, 1940; Madden, 1975) of unusual individual box turtles that remain in, and even hibernate under, water. Thus, when I occasionally noticed an individual who was always in water I presumed it was one of those unusual individuals. I was to learn otherwise." - Field observations of North America’s eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina) by Wiliam Belzer

Thank you for this post. It is very informative and has references. We need more like this.

Ask a Question