New member in Upstate New York

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. Just signed up to find some help on questions I have. Just bought a new house with 7 1/2 acres and a small natural bottom pond is included on this property. Its an oval shaped pond with a circumference of approximately 200ft. I am guessing gallon size would be about 35,000. I believe the center is 5ft deep but I am not sure since we moved in during the month of February and due to the CONSTANT raining this spring the water has been murky ever since it has thawed.
So far i have seen what look to be simple goldfish only 1-3" long, ALOT of frogs with egg sacks all over the shoreline in the grass, salamanders that are strictly aquatic(I have not seen any on the shoreline just out swimming or floating) and a few tiny schools (approx. 15-30fish) of blackish and/or brownish fish only about an inch long. The previous owners did not mention anything about the pond as I believe they were folks more inclined to live in town rather than out in the sticks. Assuming this due to the lack of care to many areas of the property and pond and them only living in this house for apporx 5 years. I have many questions as this is my first pond but I will save those for the appropriate areas to post them.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read and hope I can get some smart pond people to help solve some problems/issues I'm having

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome and feel free to ask! With a natural bottom pond, I doubt you’ll ever get full constant clarity, but read up on wetland filtration and that may help. Basically you’d be making sure the edges have lots and lots of plants, they pull nutrients from the water to prevent algae blooms, as well as stabilize the soil to prevent erosion. Don’t add any chemicals, and be careful if you fertilize near the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Jay, welcome to the madness... :)
btw; we love pictures

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Jayspond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! Post some pictures when you can.

Ask a Question