New member intro

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello. My name is Sandy, and I am so happy to have found this forum. I can hopefully get some good advice here, as I am about to take on a pretty unusual project, at least I think it is. I am going to turn our above ground, 13,000 gallon swimming pool into a pond.

I have always been a pond type person, but our yard is pretty small. I have a tiny "pond", at least that is what I like to call it. It is more of a water garden. It's one of those preformed plastic "ponds" with one shelf. I think it is only about 40 gallons, and I cannot keep more than one large goldfish alive in there. We put it in about 12 years ago, and I built a biological filter for it out of a flowerpot. The water is always crystal clear, and it is so cool to know about the biological balance going on with the filter. I love it, but always wanted a bigger one.

Well, our teenagers no longer want to use the pool. Go figure. And my husband and I don't like cool water (it's not heated), so we either tear it down, or use it for something else. I can't justify taking care of a pool that doesn't get used anymore. It is just a big source of guilt every time I look at it. So my thought....USE IT FOR A POND!!! I've seen all kinds of people convert pools to ponds, but they are always inground pools. Mine is above ground for the most part. It is 28'x16', and the shallow end is about 3.5' deep. The deep end is about 6 to 6.5' deep, so there are a couple feet there that are actually underground. All around the deep end is a ledge of about 18" so you can walk around the pool without going under in the deep end if you want to. (Great place for plants if you ask me.) The volume is close to 13,000 gallons.

Anyhow, I have lots of questions to run by you all, but that was a background of what I'm up to. I will go now, and post questions under the DIY forum. If that's not right, somebody please tell me before I make a total idiot of myself on my first day here!

Thanks for having me here!

Sandy

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome Sandy
Please post your location in the UserCP. It helps to know where you are when the questions start coming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome Sandy, sounds like you have a great plan in the works. The ledge sounds fantastic for plants. Do you have pics of the pool/pond ? This will be one great pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It should work great! Keep us updated.

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! Koiguy, I am in Shelby Township. We are neighbors!

Right now my "pond" is a pool. I have not begun transforming it yet, because today was my son's grad party. A whopping 3 kids braved the cool water to swim. Oh boy! I think that was the end of the pool era. Hopefully I can begin eliminating the chlorine and get some nice pond plants going before winter hits. By next Spring, I can add my fish. I am so PSYCHED! I haven't seen anybody else do this (on an above ground pool), so maybe I can start some kind of trend. :chair:

Do they put pond plants on sale toward the end of the year? Right now I just have two lilies and a cattail in my water garden. And one lonely comet...he is beautiful.

Goodnight,
Sandy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You would be hard pressed to find any now. At least in my area, they sell out fast in the Spring than go on sale before summer. At least you'll have all winter to plan everything out. I'm psyched for you !!!!!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum
It might be interesting during the winter up there

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome! Sounds like a great idea. Be carefull with the pool liner. Some are treated with algecides which will be toxic to you fish.

Reaction score
DrCase said:
Welcome to the forum
It might be interesting during the winter up there

How does your above ground pool fair during the winter? I know Michigan can get pretty cold. It doesn't have the in ground thermal protection.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mine does well james
It is really tied tight together with wire and re bar
I had ice in both ponds last year it was a cold winter .
But all went good

Reaction score
Mine froze over and the ice seemed rather thick here in middle Tennessee. And this winter now that I have fish I know I will need a floating pond deicer.

However, what is going to happen joesandy1822 with an above ground pond when the temperature in Michigan drops to 40 degrees below 0.

Reaction score
I am a new member too and your coversion sound great. Just off the top of my head, are you able to build shelves around your pool/pond with the current liner. I read where you want a lot of plants and assume your 6' plus deep areas will be to deep. You may want to consider building a large platform inside your pool to have a 3' deep uniform throughtout. This could be done easly with some plastic pallets and pond liner.

Curious to see what you do.:)

Reaction score
And won't it freeze through in the winters up there? Do you empty it for winter or put a thermal heater on it?

Ask a Question