New member looking for advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the west coast of Scotland currently renovating a country house. Getting to the garden at last and looking at how to deal with the old pond. It’s pretty big (12 metres x 2.5 metres at the widest point x 0.5 metres deep).

I’m sure it was beautiful in its day, but this was probably around 25 years ago. As we live on the coast at the foot of hills, it also collects water from a feed off the hills and overflows under my garden to a stream at the foot of the house. When it’s wet (10 months a year in SCOTLAND) it sits pretty full most of the time, but when we hit a dry spell (torrential rain only every second day) it empties.

From what I’ve read, I intend to drain it, clear it all out, repair the worst areas with concrete and then add a liner and underlay.

I’d appreciate any advice on this and also if anyone knows if I can put another material or even pebbles on the bed above the liner to stop my dogs piercing it two German Shepherds who much prefer pond water to their fresh drinking bowl.

I’ve attached a couple of pics and would hugely appreciate any help. I’ve never tackled a pond before and want to get it right.

thanks all

906F9AC0-C26B-4F20-81AB-01EE12868F6D.jpeg
EE018A27-BDF8-4A5B-8F52-6DFF7B1BD223.jpeg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

A shallow layer of pea gravel could be put on the bottom of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That sounds like a great idea. Would about an inch to inch and a half be about right?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That sounds like a great idea. Would about an inch to inch and a half be about right?
There is a member here that used pea gravel, IF I remember right that is about how deep she had it. You don't want real deep ow it traps too much stuff.

Ask a Question