New member...my pond / waterwheel project

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a new member and thought I'd share a pic of my pond and waterwheel that I have been working on this summer. I still have lots to do, but the heavy lifting is over with for now. The pics are a little grainy, but you get a pretty good idea of what it looks like. Any comments or suggestions for improvements, etc are welcome.
Thx, James

Attachments

• pond1.jpg
    pond1.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,155
  • pond2.jpg
    pond2.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,368
  • pond3.jpg
    pond3.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 1,207
Reaction score
Oh wow, now that is awesome. You have any details on how you built that? I'm going to really be impressed it you have that hooked up to an alternator to power your landscape lights. Better yet to your pumps for perpetual motion :lol:?

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I really appreciate the whimsical quality of the bridge. Might grow to dislike that deodar cedar being so close to your walking area. or, is that something else entirely there?

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the welcome and the feedback; it is much appreciated. This forum is full of inspiration and information, and I plan to become a participating / contributing member.
The project started with the construction of the shed about 8 years ago, and then the addition of the water wheel this summer more or less led to the pond and landscaping.
The wheel is not currently driving anything, and turns very easily on it's bearings. Most of the water is diverted to the bottom of the wheel reservoir where it actually sprays up against the paddles of the wheel at the bottom creating a very realistic sound and spray effect, given the small amount of water diverted to the flume up top to power it. A side benefit is the added aeration gained from the wheel, and I wonder too if it will act somewhat like a bio wheel in an aquarium. The wheel is 5' in diameter and weighs over 100 lbs, when running it has a considerable amount of torque and I plan to drive an alternator and inverter to power at least one or two lights. The load will also allow for the valve in the flume to be opened up allowing more water over the top of the wheel. The tree near the beginning of the boardwalk is an American Larch, I hope that I can keep it pruned and in that location, if not I'll have to move it. Yesterday I put in a small section of cedar rail fence at the back, and planted a little more grass seed. I,m working on the lighting now, and have lots of details to finish up. Within the next year or so the different wooden parts should take on a similar colour as the new wood weathers and catches up to the rest of the building. Rather than staining it, I plan just to pressure wash it annualy as I think it looks a little better with the rustic look.
Thanks again for the feedback....
James

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I think we need a few more pics
Just to make sure your doing it right ;)

Reaction score
That is sweet! Puts my little 14" wheel to shame. Awesome shed, pond, setting - everything.

Is the walkway functional? It does seem odd how the tree is right next to it (will probably be trouble in a couple of years), and the hanging light looks like it's right in the way. Maybe the camera angle?

Ask a Question