New member - Nebraska

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Jules and my husband and I put in a 5000 gallon pond about six years ago. We have enjoyed our warm summers and watching our koi grow.

I look forward to sharing pictures and hearing about other hobbyists that are as passionate about their underwater children as we are. IMAG0019.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
peacockwelcome.gif
Jules
Good sized pond and looks very nice. What are those neat looking tall plants in your pond? Are they in lots of pots or growing in gravel on the bottom of your pond? Love all your huge rocks!

Reaction score
Those are early regular and giant cattails. Our fish love swimming through them and they provide some shade in the summer months.

Reaction score
We have the majority of our plants planted in the pond. We have a couple of lilies that are in baskets. When we had our pond built we were able to get a shipment of granite rock from South Dakota. We love all of the colors that it holds while looking natural for our area.

Reaction score
You are looking from the top of the falls down. I need to download some pictures looking on the lower pond where the fish are. I changed computers so am kind of starting over on the pics.

Reaction score
Welcome Jules!

Hello to you and hello to Carolyn. Nice to see other Nebraska folks here! I am from around the Fremont area and it is a gorgeous day today!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Hi Catfishnut. It is a gorgeous day today. Thank you for the welcome! Spring can't come to early for me!! I am Omaha by the way.

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
Jules - love your pond. Can you share more pictures with us?
Carolyn, just so my previous post doesn't seem weird to you, when I read your location I saw NE and I mistook that as abbr for Nebraska, instead of North East. :)
Thought we were having a cornhusker reunion for a moment there! ha ha

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Catfish -

I thought about typing out the whole thing, but NE was easier.

I think of Nebraska as being cold - I am thinking that right now, we are probably colder than all of you in Nebraska! :razz:

Reaction score
Jules said:
I am Nebraska - Omaha area. Didn't even think of Northeast. :razz:
Jules,

I understood your location., but I read Carolyn's location wrong (thought she was a Cornhusker, too). Silly me.
By the way, that's a nice looking pond you have!

I don't have a pond, I have a 1,000 gallon tank for fish bait (bullhead and bluegills, chubs and minnows, etc) A little different set up than most people here.
I am an avid catfish sportsman and I wanted to keep live bait for my hobby. I could find no good resources on the internet for what I am doing except red-neck ideas
that don't really work well or huge catfish and talapia fish farm info that is beyond my scope. So I joined this forum. I got involved with this forum because what better
place to learn how to keep fish alive in a pond sized tank than with a bunch of pond people. So here I am and enjoying every bit of the company and the knowledge!

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
Catfish -

I thought about typing out the whole thing, but NE was easier.

I think of Nebraska as being cold - I am thinking that right now, we are probably colder than all of you in Nebraska! :razz:
Carolyn,

Well, it's definitely not cold here today. It is 55°F now and the sun is shining bright! Feels very good outside and you don't really need a coat.

Catfish

Reaction score
We actually are having a nice today around 50. Yesterday was 38 and the day before that we got 5 inches of snow. We still have a foot of ice over the pond so will not be able to do our spring clean out for awhile yet. We have hot summers (some days over 100 F) and cold winters (below 0 wind chills) We joke that the two beautiful days we have a year keep us here. I have never been to Penn but my son lived in Boston and NH before moving to FL. We loved the NE. So beautiful!!

Reaction score
Jules,

My Mom's neighbor here in Fremont has a very small pond (6 ft across and less than 20 inches deep). He has kept his pump running and the pond surface has been at least 10% open all season. Most of the time it has been completely open. He had 13 large gold fish (6" - 10") in it last fall and they are all still alive and healthy now. I stick my neck over the fence every other day to take a glance at his fishies and listen to the water gurgle.

Catfish

Ask a Question