New member, Old pond keeper.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hello, my name is Larkin, I live in Hammond LA. I presently have three ponds at my home right now. 1-2500 U.S. gallon (7' x 23' by average depth 2' = 2415 gallons, add the filter water falls and it should be about 2500 gallons) with primarily Butterfly koi (My largest Koi are a Butterfly Chagoi 17" a butterfly Hi Matsuba 15" a very poor standard Kohaku that I adopted a couple of years ago that is 15" long and a Doistu Butterfly, a Kumonryu butterfly, and a Goshiki butterfly that are all about 13" along with a few others that are all under 9". 1-300 gallon pond that is a holding tank for new fish and where I keep my youngsters until they are large enough for the big pond. 1-100 gallon pond that is mainly plants that I keep a few Guppies and mollies in during the summer just to keep the mosquitos out. I also have one 75 gallon aquarium that I house two large red hook silver dollars, a LARGE red tail shark, A large male green terror, two syndontis Catfish (1 angelicus, and 1 Multipunctatus hybrid) and a pair of bristlenose plecos. I also have a 55 and 30 gallon aquarium in my bed room. The 30 gallon houses my fancy fantail goldfish and the 55 that houses some african cichlids for the time being. I also maintain two local koi ponds and have a couple of friends that I have gotten started into koi ponding that I consult and help them out when needed. Plus ifv that's not enough, I also have two turtles, one soft shell and one Painted, a bearded dragon lizard, 1 cat, three dogs,and yes, I'm still married! lol
I worked for about 8 years in the pet industry from working at a fish nursery to part owner of my own pet store. That was cool but not a lot of money to be made. I moved on to work for the U.S. Army Corp. of engineers in invasive aquatic plant control for a few years before settling down to work off shore on oil and gas platforms for the past 15 years until I was injured offshore in 2007. I'm a proud father of four great kids 2 grandsons and another on the way. I was injured offshore in 2007 and was not able to return to work so I have been renewing my hobby of fish keeping. To occupy my time. I found this site linked to a Youtube video about DYI filters and decided to check it out. I belong to another ponding forum but it seems to be quite smaller than this one so I decided to join in and see what all you have to offer. Never can get to much info when it comes to fish keeping.
Last but not least, I am a HUGE NASCAR fan and diecast collector. My favorite Driver is Kevin Harvick and presently my collection of NASCAR diecast cars is over 10,000 with about 300 of those on display. So as you can tell from my long introduction, I'm long winded, I have expensive tastes in my hobbies and a lot of free time on my hands. hope to get to meet some of you soon. Have a Great day and happy ponding.

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 366
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 334

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome larkin

welcome670.jpg

Glad you joined us!

beautiful ponds and fish

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!
Harvick is our drivers team mate. Did your platform have a Solar Turbines package on it?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I just ran out and took a few pics to start with. half my pond is still covered with wire to keep the Blue heron's away until all the lilies and plants start providing cover.
Dr.Dave, I did contract work on platforms, rigs, and satallites. I ran explosives on electric line into the wells for bringing oil and gas to the surface and for plugging wells when they were done producing. I may have seen solar turbines but probably didn't know what I was looking at. I worked for so many different companies and locations over the years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hi larkin sounds like your one busy person and welcome to the forum and thats a lot of ponds to tend too

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Still wanting more! We have a 20' x 45' x 8' swimming pool that I want to convert to a LARGE Koi pond. I have been working on design's and exploring different filtering options to try and get this to work. I rarely swim in the pool but if I am I want to swim with the fish. I think it would be so cool just finding the funding to make it happen seems to be the biggest obstacle. My dream is to open up a store that sells all kinds of fish and supplies and has a yard area for pond lilies and Koi. I would love to get more serious about breeding them also. I ended up with two babies last year and the bug bit me bad!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
Larkin
Love your pretty fish and nice ponds. I've only got one fish left in my indoor aquarium and he's listed on freecycle to a good home. He's a sailfin pleco about 12" in a 32 gal. aquarium all by himself. Cutting down on animals as DH has just retired and plan to do some traveling w/ less home responsibilities.Still keeping my 2500 gal pond of goldies tho. Glad to have you here w/ us :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope you find a home jw. We are setting things up to run themselves also, well sort of, we are on the go all the time anymore. And he has not retired yet!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh I have several people that have answered my ad but for some reason I cannot get myself to actually reply back to them. I find it hard to part w/ him. I guess I will just hold onto their replies and wait awhile and see how I feel. We are not going anywhere soon. Why is this so hard :regular_waving_emot

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well pull your posting and wait until you are ready to start traveling jw!, or reply and tell them you are not ready to part with your fish, but will contact them when you are.

Hey JW you win, no clue what! lmao, but post 2000

Ask a Question