new member, old ponder

Reaction score
Hello, I am very glad to find this site. I have had a garden pond for over 10 years. It is just under 2000 gal, and has 1 bio falls and one small falls just for areation.depth renges from about 12 - 24 inches.
I have about 20 fish I was buying them 2 at a time, some Koi, some shubunkin, commet or what ever was recomended or I could afford at the time. Some dies some lived. Problem is now I don't know which fish is what kind!
I thought all fish with "wiskers" were koi, now I'm not so sure. I have had fry every fall and spring, never seeing eggs, I thought it was a shbunkin laying them now I read shubunkin lays eggs!?
The fish I thought female is having problems. she is SO fat her scales are seperating! Our weather has been very strange and about 3 weeks ago we had 5 days of 80 then snow. She seems to get bigger every day, any ideas what kind of fish or what to do 4 her?
Any and all ideas will be helpful! 100_5959.jpg100_5960.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found this info on the internet. Never had this problem and don't know if this is correct. You can do a search yourself or maybe someone here will know more about this soon to help you. Sorry this is happening to your koi. jw

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/Dystocia.htm

and this too below:

How to Help Egg-Bound Koi

By Nicole Fotheringham,
During spawning, female Koi fish sometimes experience dystocia or egg binding. Egg binding occurs when the female produces eggs, but the ovaries are not developed enough to release them. This leads to a buildup of eggs in the ovaries, which results in egg binding or impaction. Egg binding causes females to bloat. Spawning requires the males to forcefully bump into the female's sides to release the eggs. An egg bound female may be too weak to withstand the onslaught. Continued unchecked, the condition will lead to death.

Difficulty: Moderately Challenging
Instructions

Things You'll Need
  • Injection needle
  • CPE (carp pituitary extract)
  • Sterile water or saline solution
  • Luteinizing release hormone
  • Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
      Withhold food from the female koi once spawning is complete. As winter approaches, she will absorb the eggs back into her system as food. If she does not absorb the eggs, her abdomen will begin to harden.
      Increase the temperature to 25 degrees Celsius for seven days. Koi traditionally spawn when the water temperature increases to 20 degrees Celsius in late summer. The increase in temperature can assist in preparing her ovaries and you will be able to gently squeeze her sides to release the eggs. You should squeeze very gently to avoid injuring the koi. If gentle pressure does not yield eggs, you will have to try injections.
      Obtain CPE (carp pituitary extract) from your local veterinarian. The powdered extract is harvested from the pituitary gland of the carp. You will have to mix it with sterile water or saline solution according to the manufacturer's instructions. Inject 0.3g per kilogram of body weight. After 18 hours, administer another injection. After 10 hours, you can attempt to manually harvest the eggs.
Tips & Warnings
  • Luteinizing release hormone or Human Chorionic Gonadotropin can also be used to induce spawning.

Reaction score
With some tropical fish, you can do a mild salt solution. That used to be the standard treatment for eggbound tropicals. Other than the info provided by JW, I'm not finding much that is hopeful on the Koi sites.

Sorry,

Reaction score
I've also had fish that got round from a fluid build up, unable to balance fluid. Also can be a tumor. Also can be a mass of parasites. Also can be an intestinal blockage. Can also be a bacterial infection. Very hard to tell exactly what it is. If other fish get the same symptom you can narrow it down a bit more.

The symptom of a bloated fish with scales sticking out is called "dropsy" or "pinecone disease" if you want to search the net.

I have never heard of anyone curing a fish of this.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
gotta go with dropsy too......there is a thread or two on it in the illness and disease section. DrDave, a member here, claims he has cured a fish of this. but as you'll read below a stressfull event can cause reccurance.
Swollen abdomen
Abdominal swelling may be the result of ascites (also see Dropsy, below), hepatic lipidosis, neoplasia, organomegaly, infection, abscess, egg or fecal impaction. Fatty liver degeneration is common in koi which are fed a diet high in fat or containing low-quality protein. Neoplasia, especially of the gonads, is common, as are cystic kidneys. Organs may swell as a result of infection, and abscesses can grow large enough that they impact other organs. Egg or fecal impaction may be the result of abscesses, infection, neoplasia, or other causes. Radiology and/or surgery may be indicated. Swelling of the abdomen can become very severe before it impairs normal activity in fish.
Dropsy
Ascites (dropsy) is particularly common in koi and goldfish as a result of kidney, liver or other organ failure. Fluid accumulation in the peritoneal cavity presents as marked abdominal swelling, so that scales protrude from the side of the body in a “pinecone” fashion. Aeromonas, Mycobacterium, and Rhabdovirus and other infections can result in dropsy. The prognosis is generally poor, but affected fish should receive antibiotics and optimal supportive care. Dropsy may resolve only to return following a stressful event.

Reaction score
With some tropical fish, you can do a mild salt solution. That used to be the standard treatment for eggbound tropicals. Other than the info provided by JW, I'm not finding much that is hopeful on the Koi sites.

Sorry,
I want to try seperating her and putting her is salt water how much salt? is any non iodine salt OK?

Reaction score
After downloading your pics, blowing them up and looking a little closer and comparing the pics to others on google images and Koi books, I'm going to have to sway in the direction of dropsy too. But, to answer your question, I would use aquarium salt (you can get it from petco). 1/2 teaspoon/gallon for goldfish and Koi.

Ask a Question