New Member that needs help

Reaction score
New member that has NO idea about ponds, but wants to learn. I recently moved into a house that we are renting that has a pond in the front of the house. The pond is approx 300 gal and the owner had a filter system that was in the garage. The pond has some plants and tubing(seen in picture) that would allow for what looks like a filtration system or a waterfall. With it being a rental home I obviously do not want to spent a fortune on parts, but thought it would be nice to get the pond going and maybe add a few small fish. I have done some research on pumps and filters, but it seems like there are a million different opinions and options. What cound anyone recommend to fit what i am looking for? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_02671.jpg
    IMG_02671.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
I have done some research on pumps and filters, but it seems like there are a million different opinions and options.
Not sure a million and one opinions would help but here goes...ponds don't require a pump or even a filter. You get a filter to fix something, like too many fish. You get a pump to run the filter or to create a water feature to entertain people.

If you limited yourself to say 2 goldfish and you fed them no more than 3 or 4 times a week, used a minnow net to scoop out the bottom once a week you'd probably be OK. Even safer is to test the water and do water changes like an aquarium.

If you wanted to have 5 or 6 goldfish and you didn't want to test water or do water changes you could add a pump and a strawberry pot filter. These are basically self cleaning and very good at converting ammonia (fish waste).

I'm not saying your fish won't die, just this is kind of the basics. The more you learn (not just read opinions) the better your chances. Just following other people's opinions will get you into trouble faster than anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
A small waterlily would help moderate hot midday sun.

A little solar pump to sprinkle a little fountain and bump dissolved oxygen levels, a perty little fish (koi are perty but not little for long)

Pick up a book or two from the library on water gardening, a comfy chair to sit and peak at your pond on a nice day...

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.co...s/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

Ask a Question