New Member with Duckweed problem

Reaction score
First of all, let me say that I am a new member,soon to be 65, with 2 (or 3) ponds of small size. I have one pond about 50 gallons just outside my back door. It has a small waterfall to supply the bubbling sound that calms us as we com and go. It has 8 or 10 fantail goldfish.

My second pond is really 2 ponds in one. The first pond is in a self-made "hill" surrounded by decorator blocks that flows down into the larger pond below. The upper pond has only goldfish while the lower pond has Koi and Goldfish. These two ponds are infested with duckweed.

I have had ponds most of my life, and have never had this problem before. How can I eliminate the duckweed without harming my fish? Any ideas would be most appreciated.

John W.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My goldfish usually eat the duckweed so it never gets a chance to take over the pond. I actually grow it in aquariums in the house and bring it out to feed the pond fish.

Have your tried netting some of it out?

Reaction score
My goldfish usually eat the duckweed so it never gets a chance to take over the pond. I actually grow it in aquariums in the house and bring it out to feed the pond fish.

Have your tried netting some of it out?

I have been trying to net it out, but it appears to be similar to sweeping back the tide with a broom. Maybe I can start packaging it and selling it as fish food. <g> But if my fish are eating it, I don't see any evidence of it.

Reaction score
It sells for a good price. Are you sure it is duckweed and not some other small floating plant? Have you tried feeding it to the goldfish in the other pond?

You might try not feeding for a day or two. It won't hurt your fish, but it might get them to try the duckweed.

Reaction score
I am sure it is duckweed. And I am definitely NOT going to try feeding it to my other pond! <g> They are duckweed free at the moment.

Reaction score
Would you be willing to do this? Pull a goldfish from the duckweed pond. Put it in a tub with duckweed and don't feed it. Once the fish is eating the duckweed, put it back in its pond. Goldfish play follow the leader when it comes to feeding. If one fish eats duckweed, the other just have to try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome John! My fish gobble up duckweed the few times I have bought it. That would be weird to have so much of it that I couldn't get rid of it! Can you post a picture of the 2 ponds with the problem? That might be helpful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish inhale it, I had some at one time, it disappeared quickly

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't keep duckweed -- it gets eaten like crazy! I like Shakaho's suggestion -- couldn't hurt, as you wouldn't be transferring any DW, just the fish.
Would you be willing to do this? Pull a goldfish from the duckweed pond. Put it in a tub with duckweed and don't feed it. Once the fish is eating the duckweed, put it back in its pond. Goldfish play follow the leader when it comes to feeding. If one fish eats duckweed, the other just have to try it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
John

My fish are duckweed hogs. I have to ration it to them from a tub where I let it multiply.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
How can I eliminate the duckweed without harming my fish? Any ideas would be most appreciated.
I've found this to be very useful:

20813.jpg

When I first inherited my pond, I had loads of duckweed like floating plants. They multiplied so much that I had to put feeding rings in the summer. They literally covered up the pond and worse, they seemed to shed. So one day, I just netted them all out and surprisingly, despite me missing some here and there, they never came back.

Ask a Question