New Member With Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Fellow Pond People! LOL! I have a 13K gallon pond, with a liner. It has a bog, with lots of plants, a waterfall that runs 24/7, two aerators that are solar, and is seven feet deep in places. It's 35x25 so it has lots of surface area. No mechanical pump. Because of suspended particles and tannins, I was thinking of putting in a filter. My budget is $400.00. I have eleven koi and comets. Some frogs now! There are a lot of trees shading the pond. What suggestions do you have for clearing up the water? I am not going to add any chemicals except clay to flocculate. There must be somebody who has had the resolution of a similar situation. I want to see my fish! Thanks. Tom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
liquid barley will help ,Not sure how your pond works with no pump .How does water get to the bog .erators that are solar do not work at night

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I am also confused how you have a waterfall that runs all the time and a bog, but no "mechanical" pump - do you have gerbils running in a wheel? haha! Do you mean no mechanical filtration?

Tannins will dissipate on their own, once the source is removed (i.e., decaying leaves and organic material) or you can use carbon to clear the water.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’m confused, as well. How can you have a bog and a waterfall without a pump? Your bog should be providing some mechanical filtration, yet “solar” things only work at night (unless there is a battery). I was going to ask if you have a skimmer, but I guess not if you don’t have a pump. The trees are probably the cause of the tannins, but you would need something like activated charcoal to remove them, or let time take care of them — they don’t respond to standard filtration. A skimmer would help get some of the leaves off the surface before they have a chance to sink. But sounds like you would need multiple skimmers for them to be effective — huge pond!

It would be helpful for us if you could post a few pictures of your pond — maybe from a few different angles — so that we can get an overall view of what you are working with.

And OMG! This entire pond is lined! I can’t even imagine the size (and cost) of that liner!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-7_9-1-8.gif
@Writerman Would love to see photo's of your pond and also if it is true you have no pump?
Bogs usually are great at keeping water clear. I agree tree leaves may be causing your tannin problem. Maybe a net for when the leaves are falling and take it off when not. Do you not have any problems w/heron visiting your pond or other critters trying to steal your fish? That is one huge sounding pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Seems to be the question of the day on this thread ... Is it true you don't have a pump? First of all let me welcome you to the forum. It's nice to see new members join with new and fresh questions.

So back to the story - I'm curious about your bog and waterfall - how does it get water? Mystery.... LOL

Would love to see some pictures of your pond if you don't mind sharing.

Ask a Question