Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
joining the pond forum to learn more about caring for our pond. Normally my husband's job, but he overdosed the pond last year with AlgaFix and killed all of our fish. We started over late July and fish have been great until he poured a lot of the same stuff in the pond. Did a water change and added de-chlorination but found a fish dead this morning. I don't want to lose anymore fish so reading everything I can! I look forward to learning more about caring for ponds!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, there are many helpful and knowledgeable people here. Obviously, he needs to stop pouring chemicals in the pond. Algae growth/green water is normal part of a pond establishing itself, it will clear on its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome, there are many helpful and knowledgeable people here. Obviously, he needs to stop pouring chemicals in the pond. Algae growth/green water is normal part of a pond establishing itself, it will clear on its own.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
welcome4.gif

I used to use Algaefix too!... then I learned to trust other members and gave some suggestions a try ,like adding plants to fight algae...I bought as many pond plants as I could fit in the upper tub of my pond, and guess what...they were right, no more algae!
I forgot all about Algaefix and my pond plants are larger than they've ever been!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
View attachment 104635
I used to use Algaefix too!... then I learned to trust other members and gave some suggestions a try ,like adding plants to fight algae...I bought as many pond plants as I could fit in the upper tub of my pond, and guess what...they were right, no more algae!
I forgot all about Algaefix and my pond plants are larger than they've ever been!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you for your help! We have two large lilly plants that cover a lot of our pond, but still have open space. Our pond gets a lot of sun at least 6 hours per day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-9-24_14-27-51.gif
@Greenbrier Lulu
Sedge type plants are great for sucking up nutrients before the algae can get to them. You want the nice green soft carpet algae to grow on the sides of your pond. It benefits your pond and your fish. They love to nibble on it. The other algae that clouds your pond will go away, come back, go away, it's just the way it is and it's not a bad thing. Just say no to chemicals Mr Hubby :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Plants and filtration
Thank you your help....just found another one of my "new guys" dead. We've started over and this group have been with us since the end of July. He's used the Algaefix since they've been with us as we've had some hot/humid days in TN. Not sure what happened yesterday. From what I've been reading though, even a little seems to be TOO much! Aeration kit on express order!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
View attachment 104637@Greenbrier Lulu
Sedge type plants are great for sucking up nutrients before the algae can get to them. You want the nice green soft carpet algae to grow on the sides of your pond. It benefits your pond and your fish. They love to nibble on it. The other algae that clouds your pond will go away, come back, go away, it's just the way it is and it's not a bad thing. Just say no to chemicals Mr Hubby :smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome!!! The only chemical I ever add is declor when I add water. Agreed with everyone above. Eventually the algae will mostly go away. It just needs time. I think it's hard to do for a lot of new pond owners because you want to show off your new pond to family and friends and it doesn't look great when it looks green. If you have floating algae you can remove it mechanically by using a net or a bristle brush to scoop it up, but never scrub it off the liner. Algae is actually a wonder drug in a lot of ways... it provides camouflage from predators and reduces stress in your fish, a great natural food source for your fish, and it synthesizes harmful wastes and excess nutrients in the water into less harmful components. When your pond "cycles" beneficial bacteria will build up sufficiently that the algae will lose their food source and mostly disappear. Unfortunately when you put in chemicals it make it much harder for the beneficial bacteria to get established. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome!!! The only chemical I ever add is declor when I add water. Agreed with everyone above. Eventually the algae will mostly go away. It just needs time. I think it's hard to do for a lot of new pond owners because you want to show off your new pond to family and friends and it doesn't look great when it looks green. If you have floating algae you can remove it mechanically by using a net or a bristle brush to scoop it up, but never scrub it off the liner. Algae is actually a wonder drug in a lot of ways... it provides camouflage from predators and reduces stress in your fish, a great natural food source for your fish, and it synthesizes harmful wastes and excess nutrients in the water into less harmful components. When your pond "cycles" beneficial bacteria will build up sufficiently that the algae will lose their food source and mostly disappear. Unfortunately when you put in chemicals it make it much harder for the beneficial bacteria to get established. Good luck!

Ask a Question