Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
6B886D4B-DC24-4405-AA57-BFAA52923C3D.jpeg 9FA137B0-D340-4E7B-B720-7B8BB8AB00EB.jpeg D9D7162F-F2B4-47F4-8E0E-A799D131E697.jpeg Hey everyone, just joined group today. I made my pond 25 years ago back before the internet. I have learned good and bad over the years mostly from my own mistakes. My pond is 10by14 kidney shaped with a lava rock biofilter feeding a waterfall. It is planted with lilies ,irises dwarf cattails,wild cattails and a lotus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @warren , do you have any fish friends in your pond?
I stick with goldfish. I live in an area with a lot of blue herons. The gold fish breed enough to keep up with the losses from the birds. We also have a lot of frogs. Unfortunately i lost all the fish this winter from an unusual cold spell and almost eight inches of ice. This only happened once before back in 96 when we got 24 inches of snow. Warren I’m going to make some changes this year since I will not be displacing any fish. Hope to never lose them gain even every 20 years is too much. Hope to learn and maybe share what I have learned from the group.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome Warren :) Your pond is lovely and we're happy you joined us, we always enjoy pictures of ponds ! I'm sorry foulest your fish this winter, it was a hard winter for many of us. We share ideas and experiences and can learn from each other.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @warren . Very pretty pond. I too built my pond before I had access to all the info on the internet. Oh the things I would have done differently.....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-2_9-12-12.gif
@warren How deep is your pond and a lovely pond it is!
Sorry you lost all the fish. What state or weather zone do you live in? Might help us to know to help you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! Maybe one pond renovation will be deepening it a bit? A nice deep hole well below freeze level will help save the fish. What kind of goldfish do you stock?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! Maybe one pond renovation will be deepening it a bit? A nice deep hole well below freeze level will help save the fish. What kind of goldfish do you stock?
Unfortunately deeper is not an option to many rules where I live. Limit is 2 feet I’m already a little deeper. Depth has never been a problem. Unfortunately it was a combination of a bunch of little things all together was the kiss of death. Blue herons did not eat as menu this year. Loss of water volume due to overcrowding from to much plant growth (didn’t have anyone to take any this year. And thicker ice than I have ever had.l also left to many leave between the plants because net did not fit between them and I didn’t realize how many there really was. Also ground hog ate wire to my circulation pump. Put it all together and I just screwed up. Wound happen again. I only stock feeder goldfish because the heron like the buffet. My lilies are my main pleasure the fish are just a plus.

Ask a Question