New Mexico Wildlife Pond

This is my pond showcase. It will be about 10 x 14 with an 8 x 4 raised bog.
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking forward to seeing your progress. I am near the Rio Grande too. :) Be sure it is deep enough and has hiding spots to allow your fish to escape raccoons and herons. It will attract frogs and toads, birds and insects as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm up around Paseo and Eubank. My pond is about 4 feet deep below the water fall, which allows fish to over winter as long as my dog doesn't eat them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am looking forward to seeing your progress. I am near the Rio Grande too. :) Be sure it is deep enough and has hiding spots to allow your fish to escape raccoons and herons. It will attract frogs and toads, birds and insects as well.

Thanks! Planning on just going to 2 feet deep, maybe 2.5 and I'll build a fish cave. Not planning on any fancy fish or anything as I want to see just how bad the predation is first. For the NM members where did you get your medium to large rocks? I have a friend that lives in the mountains and has a bunch I could take but then I have to load up the minivan, drive them down, unload, repeat a few times...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to hear about nearby members! I am between the Rio Grande river and Rio Grande NW :) I got most of my rocks from my existing rock landscaping and some from my rock collecting in Rio Rancho and Los Lunas. My pond is very small and I hope to have a bigger one some day. I have bought rocks for my yard at Buildology off of the I25 frontage road and from a place in Rio Rancho. Some places will let you buy smaller amount than a whole ton, such as a 5 gallon bucket full. I thought my pond was deeper than it is......my guesstimate was off, it is under 18 inches deep when I actually measured. The fish all survived the winter. I let the pump run all year and there was ice on top at times . 2 plus feet deep sound good. I got my goldfish at the Water Garden Store on Candelaria across from Valley HS. I have a mixture of goldfish and Shubunkin goldfish. It is very peaceful to just sit and stare at them. I have volunteer toads and frogs. I have seen frogs already this year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks! I too am between the river and Rio Grande. We live in Thomas Village. I haven’t checked out buildology yet, will definitely stop by. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am just a little north of you :). You will definitely get raccoon visitors and there are herons here too. Great Blue and Night Herons. Great part of the city to be in, next to all the natural space.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Update: Got the pond pretty much dug out. Would welcome any commentary or suggestions. It's about 2 feet at its deepest. I have retaining blocks coming this week to build the walls of the bog in that raised area behind the pond.

Attachments

• pond pretty much dug.jpeg
    pond pretty much dug.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks amazing to me! I am jealous you get to start with a good sized pond and a bog filter. I think my whole pond would fit in just your deepest area. We have 2 frogs back already (from wherever they spent the winter) and the fish are getting so much more active. I like to sit outside and watch the fish and drink my coffee. I never get tired of the balloons drifting overhead as an added bonus.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
im no expert to new mexico but i would stand to guess it gets a bit warm there in the summer, the deeper the better to aid in keeping the pond from burning up . and id also give places for the inhabitants to hide from the sun . to me 3 feet deep would be a minimum

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
im no expert to new mexico but i would stand to guess it gets a bit warm there in the summer, the deeper the better to aid in keeping the pond from burning up . and id also give places for the inhabitants to hide from the sun . to me 3 feet deep would be a minimum
Thanks! The soil is really sandy and I’m a bit worried about the structural integrity of the walls if I go much deeper. Maybe I’ll just carve out one more little area at the bottom for some extra depth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like you're doing a little intake bay? Very cool. If you're worried about structural integrity of the excavation, you can rock the pond. That will add a lot of rigidity.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like you're doing a little intake bay? Very cool. If you're worried about structural integrity of the excavation, you can rock the pond. That will add a lot of rigidity.
Oh I’m definitely going to rock the walls but it’s going to be awhile before I get the liner and underpayment in. I guess I could do the liner and underpayment in the main pond and just keep it folded down while I build the bog walls and then bring it up. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beginning of the bog built. This wall will have the liner go over it, rocks in front, and the gravel bog behind it. Since this pic I went ahead and drove some rebar into the ground for added support. There is gravel under the supports and the wood to let any moisture drain out but we're in a pretty dry climate and it will be covered with the liner so expect to get a pretty long life out of the pressure treated wood. Sides and back of the bog will be built with retaining wall blocks.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 81
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bog is built, and rocks are delivered. Just need the round gravel and I'll have all my supplies, will just need to put it all together. Also I keep deciding to dig the pond a wee bit bigger every time I look at it since I got an oversized liner...

Edit: How meticulous do I need to be about getting out rocks under the liner if I'm using a nice thick underlayment?

Attachments

• IMG_0704.jpeg
    IMG_0704.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Ask a Question