azlavender

Backyard Natural Pond Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I have been practicing permaculture in my home garden for the last two years. One of the latest addition to my garden is a DIY natural garden pond that my husband and I built together. We finished majority of the build in late September, 2015 and I have added a couple of waterlilies, oxygenating plants, adopted one goldfish (named him Big Red), purchased 4 little shubunkins, added a handful of fancy guppies and some mosquito fish. I think some snails hitch hiked from the place I got the water lettuce from.

Everything seems to be working nicely, water stays clear even though I am only using plants to filter the water. I built a small waterfall to add oxygen to the pond and we love the sound of running water, really relaxing.

I am looking forward to learn from everyone here and hope to eventually contribute back when I gain more experience and knowledge.

Here's a few photos of our pond build. Still some more work to be done to it, but we are pretty happy with it so far.

This is when we were digging and building the retaining wall for about 1/3 of the pond to be above ground. Total depth is 3ft.
21356716792_3b2d1f5592_b.jpg

Here's the photo of us putting down underlayment and liner.
21396934919_c2de08a506_b.jpg

Still working out the kinks of our bog filter and waterfall feature...
21458153154_62b6c7f183_b.jpg

Here's the photos of us building the decking around the pond.
22124987681_7dfb0cf662_b.jpg

Almost done with decking here and building bench for the pond edging.
21498305533_ebeb062b2e_b.jpg

21948572620_e3946b9f22_b.jpg

King of Siam water lily seems to approve of our pond, beautiful blooms!
22156727732_c80eae7b05_b.jpg

azlavender

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow what a cool backyard and pond. I am loving the multi-level. Was it like that when you bought the house? The pond looks wonderful as well!

Thank you tbendl!

We actually took out the huge dive in pool that was in the backyard, hired a crew to break everything up, haul the concrete out so we can build a sunken garden. That was a huge project.

1.5 years into living in the house after we bought it, we realized that a huge amount of money was going to the pool water and electricity. We only used it 5-7 days out of the whole year. Since I prefer using water for growing edible plants, we decided to take the whole thing out and plant an edible sunken garden oasis back there.

Here's the crew bringing in the big equipment to break the pool up.
15362021914_eb3fa1f911_b.jpg

We had them fill the hole up to only about half way so we can build retaining walls and planters in there.

15386190523_da9c51d2eb_b.jpg

Here's the built of the retaining wall and planters surrounding the sunken garden.
16265797495_ba7fbcc324_b.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
addy did the same with her AZ pool but turned it into a big pond .Now no pond and she and her hubby are down there working on selling the house .Nice pond and love that you had made shade to work in .Congrats on your home and now your new pond

azlavender

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
addy did the same with her AZ pool but turned it into a big pond .Now no pond and she and her hubby are down there working on selling the house .Nice pond and love that you had made shade to work in .Congrats on your home and now your new pond

Thank you sissy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What a great replacement for a swimming pool.(y)

Permaculture is a great method to manage a garden.
Please keep us updated on that.:)

Ask a Question