• Total voters

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm new to the whole forum concept, but since I'm technically a beginner with koi (a little over a year) figured y'all could help me with your knowledge. Last summer I had a roommate come home with a bag of baby koi his client gave him. All I had was a 10 gallon tank, and a good friend gave me a 60 gallon preformed pond, & the rest is, as they say, history! Since then I've become consumed by everything koi! I'm almost 37, and I've never had a hobby, and now I'm shoulder deep in the wonderful world of koi keeping. I recently moved, and I now have my fish in a 100 gallon rubbermaid tub & the 60 gallon pond in my kitchen until I could get a bigger pond in the back yard, which i have free range of...(I live in an old 1930 house that is a 4-plex) & I just got a used hot tub for free I plan on making into my new pond oasis....
cool0010.gif
SO I joined for help on how to do this.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw1 on you tube but it seems the jets were a big problem because he could not seal them tight and he gave up.Remember koi get large very large and wish someone had told me this 11 years ago .After rebuilding it 4 times I am now at 5000 gallons with 2 foot long koi .2 filters no skimmer and no bottom drain .Go with a liner pond

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I saw that too Sissy and was trying to remember. If you have the hot tub you could drop a liner in it but yeah I remember the jets being an issue as well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also not sure where you live but i would be concerned about water getting to cold or hot .Is it worth the work ,I don't really think so .By the way welcome .I tried to find the video tbendl but no luck .Maybe some one else will have more info .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Ditto what everyone else has said about the spa. Also, I've heard that the material (fiberglass?) is prone to cracking over time & with exposure. Where do you live? Would it be possible for you to dig a hole for a liner pond (EPDM)? That might give you more room for your fish to be happiest, as at the very least, you'd want 1000 gallons -- and more depending on how many koi you have.

Glad you have found this hobby and are enjoying it! It's addictive!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They never answered any of the questions posted to them .was done in 2010 so it may not have been a success

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum a hot tub koi pond well thats a novel idea , I just wish people would stop calling our own pond a hot tub :LOL:
It has 6 sides yes but there the resemblance ends ;)

Dave

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm "balling on a budget", and these guys are addictive! The spa was free, and I live in Houston. My koi are currently in a 100 gallon tub in my kitchen, (don't judge), as I recently moved. I have built a biofilter once before from 5 gallon bucket, and finished the one for the spa last night. I have 4 babies (2" long) in a 60 gallon preformed, and the 2 big guys in the 100 gallon tub. the 2 pump/filters in the big one I built and have been bio-established. I love my fish, they are definitely coming into their personalities! Just using the spa because it was free, and bigger than the confined 100 gallons....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
all you can do is try it for now and I am sure when the budget gets better you will be building a bigger pond ,we always go bigger ;)I started out with a 300 gallon preformed because we were still working on building the front porch after the house was done and i wanted to be able to look down on it congrats on the move

jezabell79

New but not...
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
all you can do is try it for now and I am sure when the budget gets better you will be building a bigger pond ,we always go bigger ;)I started out with a 300 gallon preformed because we were still working on building the front porch after the house was done and i wanted to be able to look down on it congrats on the move
I hope so because I'm truly addicted to my fish! The two big guys I've raised from two inches to almost a foot long! They know my voice and love cheerios!

Ask a Question