new owner, no clue, no budget

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We bought this house with the pond already here. We were told they did not run the fountain often because of evaporation, there is one little bubbler running, I'm not sure if the other one is broken, or just not plugged in. Everything is run off one extension cord, there is a just a big tangle of wires and plugs under a fake rock beside the pond. We found the empty box from an Aquaponics Iongen System, which I think is in the bottom of the pond, and there are a few other mystery objects in there covered in algae as well. They said they never fed the fish because there was plenty of algae, I have only seen two fish--I think one is a koi and one is a goldfish. There are plants in each "corner", one has leaves like an iris and looks like it badly needs to be divided, one has long stalks with flowers, and the other two look like some type of grass.

When we moved in, the water level was very low and the pond was full of algae. I added water a few inches at a time every few days and pulled out a bunch of algae by twirling it around an old broomstick like cotton candy. I'm wondering if the black canister by the waterfall is a filter, there is no identifying information on it. After all the other things we've had to fix in this house, we don't have much money to spend on the pond right now but would really like to try to keep the fish alive and learn enough about ponds to be able to make some improvements on it next spring.

If I post some pictures, would someone be willing to try and help me identify the things that are there, the things I need, and the things that can wait?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Everybody will help you. Post pictures of everything, as close up as possible and good focus. We will chime what we think.

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is behind the waterfall. I'd like to know what the black canister is, and see if maybe I can get an owner's manual, or at least some information on what it is for. When you lift the fake rock, this is the tangle of cords you see.
Pond backside.JPG
Wire cluster.jpg
Pond backside.JPG Wire cluster.jpg

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have had a hard time getting clear pictures, I think the Iongen is the long object on the bottom, when I touch it with the broom handle, it is vibrating slightly, feels like someone humming. I have no idea what the little round object with the suction cup on the bottom is, I think it looks like something out of Star Wars. :D The object kind of upper-left is maybe some type of pump? I think that is the same hose that goes to the black cylinder behind the waterfall.
Mystery object 1.jpg
Mystery object 2.jpg
Mystery object 3.jpg

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Any information is appreciated, I don't know what the plants are, I don't know what anything is, I am just lost here.
Pond 4.JPG
Pond 5.JPG
Pond 7.JPG
Pond 8.JPG
Pond 13.JPG
Pond 14.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome Nae!
I think that the black canister with a smaller canister on the side is a pressure filter with a UV.
Can you open it up and take a picture of that?
That will be your most important item right now. You'll want to clean it and keep it running properly.
There is a pump in the pond that is pumping water into that canister, see if you can read the information on the label. Keep that pump clean as well.
If you do have an Ionizer, unplug it and take it out. It's not doing any good.

Do not feed your fish for the time being, there's lots for them to eat in the pond until we get things figured out.
That bunch of wires is an accident waiting to happen, see if you can figure out what all they're for and let us know. That needs to get organized so it's safe.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Ensure that all of that electrical spaghetti is plugged into a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). Take that pump out of the pond and clean it up so that it doesn't suck the filamentous algae into the impeller and burn out the motor.

Like Mitch says, that pressure filter is the heart of the pond. Look for a manufacturers label on it. To me it looks to be an Oase, but I could be wrong. Once you figure out the manufacturer and model #, google it up and see if you can find an owners manual on-line. You'll need to clean that sucker up before running it. If the UV bulb is shot, it's not a big deal. They're easy to find and easier to install. The UV bulb is not required for the running of the pressure filter itself.

The ionizer, as Mitch pointed out, is a fad. Useless and potentially dangerous. Consign it to the scrap heap.

Keep up with the removal of the filamentous algae as you've been doing. By all means, divide up those plants you're speaking of. If you're able, add some more. Get rid of the debris (ie. fallen leaves) that have sunk to the bottom. That's what's contributing to your green water. They're decomposing and there simply aren't enough plants to take up the nutrients.

Coupled with the fact that the pressure filter isn't operational......you've got a lovely pea soup.

As an aside, pressure filters are not made to have the inlet (water coming in) lower than the outlet (water going out).

Due to the design of the waterfall (less than desirable), of course you're going to be losing water due to "splash". I would suggest using a second, smaller pump to supply the waterfall and only using it when you're out there to enjoy it.

Re-route the pressure filter so that it empties into the pond at pond level, and leave that running 24/7.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome you to the forum :) When you're adding water, make sure you're using a de-cholrinator if you're on city water. Sometimes water departments also use chloramines, if that's the case, just get a de-chlorinator and takes care of both chlorine and chloramines.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome Nae!
I think that the black canister with a smaller canister on the side is a pressure filter with a UV.
Can you open it up and take a picture of that?
That will be your most important item right now. You'll want to clean it and keep it running properly.
There is a pump in the pond that is pumping water into that canister, see if you can read the information on the label. Keep that pump clean as well.
If you do have an Ionizer, unplug it and take it out. It's not doing any good.

Do not feed your fish for the time being, there's lots for them to eat in the pond until we get things figured out.
That bunch of wires is an accident waiting to happen, see if you can figure out what all they're for and let us know. That needs to get organized so it's safe.
@MitchM Thanks for this basic approach -- it gives the OP some direction and a primary area of focus.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one thing in the mess of wires looks like an aerator .If it is working it needs protected from weather and it should have a filter in it also .Do not know why they have the pump set so high but that is something that can be addressed when you have the money .I would turn off the pump and clean that pressurized filter a little .Check the uv bulb and if that filter smells like a sewer it will need cleaned .It may have a back flush knob on it .Inspect all wires that are exposed to make sure none are damaged .Get a bucket and just put over the top of that outlet box after you neaten up the tangled mess .

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Too funny. A Facebook friend saw my new house pics and told me the mystery canister is a filter made by Total Pond. I did a search on that and it came us as being sold at Home Depot, also in the results was a picture of a pump listed at Walmart that looks just like one of my mystery objects. Both stores are located about 2 miles from my house, so that makes sense. And now I can muck around the Total Pond website! :)

Nae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Going on the theory that none of it was running anyways, I just took it all out of the pond, untangled the wires, and then once I could tell what each one went to, I plugged in the little air bubble thing, the filter, the pump for it, and the UV light, then tucked them neatly under the fake rock. I have no idea if the light works or the filter needs to be cleaned because I couldn't get the tops off, I will leave that for my husband. For now I am happy to know that the pump does work. (The lights do too, but daylight sort of takes the oompf out of that. LOL)

Besides the frog, which I will eventually set back up, is there anything on that bench I should keep?
Pond gadget rejects.jpg

Ask a Question