New plant additions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
How do you treat the new plants before adding them into the pond system? Little worried I will introduce a problem for the fish.
Much difference in treatment to store bought plants or ones you dig out of a local pond?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got 2 shipments from pond supply companies. Currently they are in my temporary greenhouse till the rain stops. No treatment. Now for the few plants I have picked up from local waterways, they get a good hosing off and a week in a tank before going in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've never dug up any 'wild' plants to bring home to my pond, but for anything store bought/ordered, I simply wash some (or most) of the dirt off the roots (if any & depending on where in the pond I'm planting it) and stick it in. No treatment, other than patting them on their little heads & saying "OK, grow nice now"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm expecting an order of plants that are farm raised and I'm not planing on treating them before planting in the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately a duck landing in your pond or a bird taking a drink can introduce many of the same parasites etc. if you have a large pond you may want to give the plants a parasite treatment but if it is average to small then it's up to you the cost to treat won't be so bad.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always just tossed them in , so far no issues. But have so any plants now not buying anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plants you buy from reputable sources have generally been treated with Potassium Permanganate before being shipped. Those plants should be safe.

If you want to disinfect plants yourself, you can use a 1:20 bleach solution and put the plants in that for a couple of minutes. Years ago, I left mine in too long and managed to kill all my plants, so I don't use bleach anymore.

Potassium Permanganate is safer for plants, but you need to be careful with it. Wear gloves and eye protection. It also stains anything it comes in contact with, so you might want you wear some old clothes as well. Don't use it on a windy day. You don't want it blowing into your face and you don't want to inhale it.

Mix a teaspoon of PP with 10 - 15 gallons of water. You can leave the plant in that for 10, even 20 minutes and they should be fine.

PP won't kill leaches, but it is good for most other parasites and diseases.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I haven't ever worried about it to be honest. But like @addy1 - my problem now is getting RID of plants, not adding them!

Ask a Question