New plants arrived today

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Just got my order from the pondmegastore. I was surprised at how small the plants were. Is this the way they normally come from mail order?
Considering they were more expensive then the local pond place not including shipping. One of the plants is a spider lily. The second photo is of the plants from the local shop. Note that one is a big spider lily and was a dollar cheaper.

Attachments

• F672861D-8A32-4502-8F16-ED7443C0B41C.jpeg
    F672861D-8A32-4502-8F16-ED7443C0B41C.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 83F7D2B1-DFB8-456A-8697-7E534045E49A.jpeg
    83F7D2B1-DFB8-456A-8697-7E534045E49A.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 228
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's the number one reason I like to buy from a local store - I like to see what I'm getting for the money. I've ordered a few things online if I can't find a local source but otherwise I stick to the nursery.

The good news is they look healthy! (Although I would have told you to only get one water celery - that stuff spreads like wildfire!)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with Stephen and Lisa, the plants look about the right size and healthy. Most places don’t ship you large plants. Good thing is most pond plants grow quickly.

Also I second Lisa saying water celery grows like wild fire, there are places in my pond where you can’t see the rocks at the edge of the pond because the water celery is so thick. The good thing is though plants like water celery that grow quickly are using a lot of nutrients that are in the pond water to do this, and water celery is easy to pull out to boot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The good thing is though plants like water celery that grow quickly are using a lot of nutrients that are in the pond water to do this, and water celery is easy to pull out to boot.

Agreed! It's a fast grower but not invasive in the sense that it's hard to get rid of. You can see mine to at the wall to the left of the irises in this picture. One plant:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Water celery is possibly my favorite pond plant. It's pretty, grows quickly, and as y'all said - it's very easy to pull out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Unless it has completely taken over your bog! The only thing that kept mine under control was a groundhog. Ate it to the gravel level and then of course fertilized my bog. Mr groundhog has since been relocated and I'm now dealing with the celery issue again. This was last month, can't even see the sides of the bog now.
033.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Been there @mrsclem - I took mine out of the bog only because it was too hard to pull it once it got itself entwined with everything else. Growing on the side of the pond I can keep it in it's own boundaries.

An interesting thing I've noticed - some portions of the plant (those that are closest to the pond) have a pinkish tinge to the leaves. The rest stays very green.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I guess I will eventually have problems with overgrown bog plants but right now I need some plants doing cleanup. My clear water went back to green when our temps went back up. The water celery and bloody dock are not in yet as they are still adjusting to Alabama weather and recovering from their trip in hot trucks. :-(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I can relate! My bog looks like that about every other year. This year it's the irises. Next year... who knows!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
At this time of year it can be difficult to find plants that can fit in a box, water hyacinths and lettuce are a foot tall and wide, graceful cattail are 4' tall, pond iris over 2', pickerel 3'

It can take some trimming to fit them in....

Ask a Question