New Plants - Winter Care

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As I noted in a previous post I just got my first new plants. Being in zone 6 I was wondering what winter preparations these plants need if any to survive and come back in the spring after a long frozen winter? Do I cut them back? Do I move them to the deeper part of the pond. I've also noted which and in the water directly in pots and which are planted in the rocks essentially touching but not submerged.

Blue Water Iris - potted and in the shallows
Blue Eyed Grass - potted and in the shallows
Creeping Jenny - planted in the rocks/water along the waterfall and stream
Spiral Rush - planted in the rocks/water along the stream and waterfall
Blue Moneywart - planted in the rocks along the shallows
Pink Pickerel Rush - potted and in the shallows.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are a bit cooler than us we are zone 6b or so. I planted some of those in the fall in my bog when I first built the pond and bog in the late fall. They all came back just fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Like Elarson5757, wondering if I should cut all the remaining lily pad stems off and cut off all the pickerel rush stems before the weather gets cold or just let them go as is.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I groom all the leaves, old stems off lilies and pickerel. I leave the tiny leaves that you find on the tubers as they slow down.
Usually do it in October, depending on when they slow down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I groom all the leaves, old stems off lilies and pickerel. I leave the tiny leaves that you find on the tubers as they slow down.
Usually do it in October, depending on when they slow down.
Thanks, now I can make a plan for winterizing the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My general winter plan is if it's going to fall or collapse into the pond and decay, I cut it back. If it's able to stand on it's own all winter, I leave it until spring. The reeds and grasses and even ground cover outside of the pond or in the margins are helpful in keeping leaves and debris from blowing into the pond. They catch a lot of the stuff that would otherwise need to be scooped out in spring. Plus the birds and other critters love to pick seeds off dead flower heads and use the dead plant material in spring for nesting.

Anything in a pot needs to be dropped deeper into the pond I have found. That's the biggest reason I worked to get most of my plants out of pots and naturalized in the pond - I hated dealing with all those pots in the fall and spring, especially because the pond gets too cold to get in and move things around. So I was trying to deal with it from the outside, which is way more work than it was worth for me!

Ask a Question