New pond 250 *150 * 75 cm (UK)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

East of England. I demolished a brick shed that had 60 cm deep foundation walls. I'd like to turn this into a pond within a decked area instead of decking over it or infilling and turfing. Haven't got the first clue where to begin...

Dig it out to existing foundation level about 60 cm deep. Sort the loose brickwork. Raise some framework to deck level OR seating level.

Then what...

I can arrange for it to be filled from 36 m^2 of roof and overspill to drain via a little water feature (lined gulley with rocks in...) of some description.

That could be recirculated with a pump when it isn't raining.

There should be fairly unmaintained plants in it. A completely unmaintained goldfish or two might live in it and not die or be stolen by the neighbours. I don't intend to have any form of filter pump water feature etc.

Thoughts and reading material pointers anybody? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome. Before you add fish or plants, you’ll need to know if the roof will be adding toxins to the water. Lots of new roofs have anti fungals, and stuff that will harm your plants and kill your fish. Next rain catch roof overflow and test it first. As for a fish or two, unless you can sex the fish, you take a chance of either one lonely fish, or a pair having hundreds of babies!
But the idea of a deck pond like that is very lovely. If you vary the depth, you can add plants of different types from water mint and creeping Jenny in shallow water to water lillies, creating a lovely oasis of greens and blooms, all tucked up on your deck!

Ask a Question