New Pond, Algae .....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
And new owner. Combined the other day to talk about adding algacide. :eek: I tried to add my two pennies, but being a lowly carpenter/worker bee, there was no way I could know of such things, and was ignored.
Now on to the specifics. The pond is about 4 acres total, but at this time is only about 20 yards across and about 4 feet deep. (water) As I was building the dock, the owner added two truck loads of fish to the pond. Probably 1000 or more fish of some sort. All/mostly fingerlings. They now have an algae bloom. My attempt at educating them fell on deaf ears. The pond should reach full pool in a couple of months. Once the pond gets full, the water will have a fair turnover with 3 creeks, and a spring feeding it. But until that time, they are all in a panic.

So apparently, it's not just us small ponders that have algae from time to time. But most of us have learned to let it run it's course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
And new owner. Combined the other day to talk about adding algacide. :eek: I tried to add my two pennies, but being a lowly carpenter/worker bee, there was no way I could know of such things, and was ignored.
Now on to the specifics. The pond is about 4 acres total, but at this time is only about 20 yards across and about 4 feet deep. (water) As I was building the dock, the owner added two truck loads of fish to the pond. Probably 1000 or more fish of some sort. All/mostly fingerlings. They now have an algae bloom. My attempt at educating them fell on deaf ears. The pond should reach full pool in a couple of months. Once the pond gets full, the water will have a fair turnover with 3 creeks, and a spring feeding it. But until that time, they are all in a panic.

So apparently, it's not just us small ponders that have algae from time to time. But most of us have learned to let it run it's course.
didcha tell him to also add a couple truckfulls of plants? Some aeration/water movement would be nice. Maybe as you sit back on the dock, feet up, a libation in hand, you can do a sort of 'do you want to know what the pond owners down the way are doing for this problem? Make it an apple bobbing experience, where by such effort, a prize worth having can be had!

Okay, so straight talk didn't do it for ya; give the above a try. ANNNND be sure to get LOTS of pics of any commitment, you know, so we here at GPF can look on and be entertainedcheer!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas.gif

Ask a Question