New pond, all my fish are dying

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've used Amguel for years just for water changes on my tanks, great product, I believe in!

Reaction score
Okay, been a busy day. Took off early(FOR A POND!), got home, drained about 2/3s of pond. Re-filled, added de-chlorinator(which I had never used before), added the pond-zyme bacteria stuff and added 2 16 oz bottles of Am-plus(which after I looked closer, I needed 3). The fish already seem to be more active. By my count, I have 12 regular 2 inch goldfish, 1 koi about 5 inches long, 1 fantail about 3-4 inches long. I have another koi that I didn't see when I did the drain. There are also a dozen really tiny minnows in there. I got all the other type fish out and moved them to our big pond, but they were about 2/3s dead :lol:. Is that still too many fish? The pond seems so bare.

So, if I understand correctly, my plan of attack should be to drain around 20% every day or so, refill.

Get water tested again in a few day. Where is a good place to by a kit online?

Quit adding fish.

Pray.

Anything else?

Also, there are a few more plants that I would like to be buy, especially a lotus and some type of ivy or fern that will go down the waterfall on each side. Are their any good online stores? I figure since I am on fish buying probation I need more plants!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
More plants, Not a bad idea, They will help use up all these nitrates and nitrites. They will help stabalize the pond. good place to get a lotus Pond boy is offering Lotus tubers for very reasonable, Probably won't find one cheaper in your area. On the water changes, 20% a day is pretty heavy, going to go through a lot of dechlorinator, I would go 20% in about two days, then maybe 10-20% about three or four days later. try to check the water when you can until you get a kit. Online there are a # of different, the API master kit runs about $20. Ebay will work, megapondstore.com, Off hand I know there are more but drawing a blank. I would stay with the fish that are in there and just keep watching them, if they are doing better then your on the right track. Good news is if you do the plants, back off feeding except a couple of times a week and lightly for now and keep water changing your pond should start showing improvement in about three to four weeks to the point of stabalizing. Light feedings this often will not starve your fish, I promise!!! You'll be back to feeding more in just a couple of weeks and they should eagerly be looking for food by that time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
drdave likes wire vine other nice ones are creeping jenny, creeping raspberry. for the waterfall area.

Reaction score
Eirrac, you are fantastic! Not using dechlorinator might have been part of your problem. Here is a link to sources for a test kit online. Your current fish load should be OK if you have a functional filter. Please tell us what model of filter you got at Lowes. We want to make sure it is big enough for your nice big pond.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
shakaho said:
Eirrac, you are fantastic! Not using dechlorinator might have been part of your problem. Here is a link to sources for a test kit online. Your current fish load should be OK if you have a functional filter. Please tell us what model of filter you got at Lowes. We want to make sure it is big enough for your nice big pond.

Good thinking, I haven't even thought to ask what size filter, what kind, nothing. That could be a BIG underlying problem there!

Reaction score
Is pond boy a website? I pulled a website up but I didn't see any plants. What are y'alls favorite plants? I figure if I can't keep my fish alive it might as well look good!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
eirrac11 said:
Is pond boy a website? I pulled a website up but I didn't see any plants. What are y'alls favorite plants? I figure if I can't keep my fish alive it might as well look good!
look in the classified, he is a member here with the smaller lotus tubers. Will ship to you for shipping costs.

here is the link

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/baby-doll-lotus-tubers-t7498.html

here is a link where i put some links to pond plant info

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/plant-informations-t7655.html

Reaction score
Thank you!

Geez, the more I research the more I did wrong. I have some baby ducks and I had been letting them swim in the pond for practice. From what I've just read, that isn't good either b/c of the ducks waste. Live and learn, I guess!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When you have a problem such as this... You really need to tell us everything... :lol:
Ducks in the pond should have been one of your 1st admissions.:lol:

Reaction score
Do you like how the truth is coming out in bits and pieces! ha! I never even thought of that as being bad until I just read it. It was only 3-4 times for about 20 minutes. I think that is all I have to confess right now. The more I read and learn, the more that might come forward! :lol:

I am taking the 5th after this!

Reaction score
I really think that is going to be all my sins.

No de-chlorinator, no filter, bass, minnows, perch, no cycling, way too many fish, ducks in the pond....geez, if this was pond court I would be going to the pokey for quite sometime. I am learning lots now though

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
, OMGoodness, Now you got me thinking bulldozer....lol Your so called pump is your filter. I WAS going to say it might work, rethinking after the duck mental picture, GO BIGGER!! You need one rated for 4000 gallons or better. The one you have would work with plenty of plants and a light fish load, it is by far better than nothing, But with bass, birch, goldfish, minnows, ducks, frogs, (They will be there soon enough, trust me!) I think you need to read more and consider all your alternatives. Your filter is the heart of the pond, small filter little and few fish, Good filter, nice display of fish, GREAT Filter, you can feed your fish grow them and allow them to have babies. Your filter is rated for 850 gallons your pond is 1200. They rate the filters high, you stock your pond high, the filter can't keep up and ammonias go high. Keep up the good work, but I consider getting a better filter, we are still behind you. Diesel fuel is too high right now for the bulldozer anyway.

Reaction score
Ok, past is past now you learned, maybe a bit the hard way. I would say your fish level now is at the limit, and once all those goldfish start having babies you will be over....they will grow and fill it up fast so will plants. The more plants the better.
glad to hear the fish are looking better, keep up the testing and waterchanges now. You said you are using the dechlor...so I take it you are on city water...if you are on a private well it should not be necessary. Hope you can sleep easier tonight and have a less stressfull tomorrow

Ask a Question