New pond and snapping turtles

Reaction score
I just bought a house in Upstate NY with a 100'x50' pond on the property. It has large golden fish in it (Not sure if they are Koi) as well as many smaller ones. Recently we have seen two alligator snapping turtles walking around the pond and are worried they are eating the fish. Is there a way to get rid of these things? I have two small children (Under four years old) and have safety concerns too. I have lots of other questions about maintaining the pond and fish, but need to read through the newbie section first I guess.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I suppose the best way to get rid of them is to relocate them to another body of water, best within 5 miles.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
You can pick snapping turtles up by the tail, just hold them away from yourself. We used to trap them, regular snappers that is. Caught 17 out of a 2 acre catfish pond one year, they'll do some damage to a pond. Alligator snappers are pretty rare and range further south, are you sure they're not just regular snappers? Alg snappers are endangered in several states.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Actually picking them up by the tail is very incorrect. Picking them up by the tail can cause spinal injury that doesn't show up for several days to weeks later. The correct way to pick them up is to pick them up by the shell just above the rear legs. For removal I suggest a live trap for turtles. In a pond that size they will only do minimal damage but yes they can do damage to even large fish. I too think these are common snappers and not alligator snappers. Alligator snappers are really very rare and even rarer to see on land at all.

TgM

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6a
Country
United States
Actually picking them up by the tail is very incorrect. Picking them up by the tail can cause spinal injury that doesn't show up for several days to weeks later. The correct way to pick them up is to pick them up by the shell just above the rear legs. For removal I suggest a live trap for turtles. In a pond that size they will only do minimal damage but yes they can do damage to even large fish. I too think these are common snappers and not alligator snappers. Alligator snappers are really very rare and even rarer to see on land at all.
The way I was taught but that does make sense.

Reaction score
Thank you for the tips guys. I will try and get some pics of the turtles and pond to post here. Hope it is not too hard to post pics to this site.

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the culprit. His shell is over a foot long.

Attachments

• IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 364

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's a common snapper, not an alligator snapper. dead giveaway is the shell. They can be quite dangerous to little fingers when on land. They are actually very accurate eaters in the water, If they bite they pretty much plan on eating it. On land they will whip and bite at anything in self defense. In a large healthy pond they are actually quite beneficial to the eco system if there is a check on how many are in there. Problem is, if you see one, then there maybe more. There are turtle traps designed to safely remove them alive.

Reaction score
OK thank you. I will check around for traps. I have a regular "Have a heart" trap, if I put some chicken in there will they go in to eat? I will try and get some shots of the pond for everyone.

The house has been vacant for three years, so who knows what the fish have been eating, and what kind of surprises I'm going to find in there.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's a common snapper, not an alligator snapper. dead giveaway is the shell. They can be quite dangerous to little fingers when on land. They are actually very accurate eaters in the water, If they bite they pretty much plan on eating it. On land they will whip and bite at anything in self defense. In a large healthy pond they are actually quite beneficial to the eco system if there is a check on how many are in there. Problem is, if you see one, then there maybe more. There are turtle traps designed to safely remove them alive.

What does a turtle trap look like? Does it go in the water [I would assume] or on the land? Interesting, and so glad I don't have to worry about those guys in my pond, LOL!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
What does a turtle trap look like? Does it go in the water [I would assume] or on the land? Interesting, and so glad I don't have to worry about those guys in my pond, LOL!
http://www.dunnsfishfarm.com/turtle_trap_46_ctg.htm
I don't like posting a link to advertising but I didn't know how else to post. This isn't a spam to try and sell for them. There are other makers of turtle traps out there. this just happens to be the one I have. I like it because it's humane. If I check it daily when out every single turtle can be relocated. My biggest problem is I have a florida softshell that gets in the trap all the time and I like him in the pond. getting him out and letting him go when others are in the trap at the same time can get a bit tricky.

Ask a Question