new pond, another silt filtration question

Reaction score
I have a newly installed pond and the soil here is really fine sand so it's full of silt. I've pumped it out and refilled it but I'm going to need some kind of mechanical filtration. I've read about the quilt batting in a pillow case, but what I'm wondering is if I can somehow incorporate that into my little giant skimmer box, maybe wrap the net in the skimmer box in the pillow case? I'm not sure, any way it would be temporary.
That skimmer holds a 5200GPH pump that feeds my falls so I could turn the whole pond over and filter it out quick if I could figure a way.
It's refilling now but I'll take a pic in a few.

Reaction score
as I mentioned I drained and filled today and got some but not all out. Maybe I'm just best to use my submersible pump and feed that into a pillow case.
Got the pump throttled back here because the wife thought it was too loud with the whole lower falls running, I think it looks dumb but she's happier.

Still a little rock work to do but I'm out so it'll have to wait.

Attachments

• pond rinse.jpg
    pond rinse.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 329

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how many gals is that pond? how deep? by the looks of it, 5200 gph is just a whole lot of flow. that much water flow and falling back into the pond is alot for any particles to settle, keeping them in suspension... i would bet if shut down the pond for a few days the water clears. turn the pump back on and the water clouds pretty quickly .. a raised edge around the pond would help greatly. looks like the grade in the yard is directed right into the pond. around the pond, it should run away from it. especially with all that gravel, holding dirt, dust, gravel powder etc...

Reaction score
this isn't from runoff, if that becomes a problem I'll address it later, this is just sediment from the granite rock work and construction. It's about say 6'x10' and 30 +/- inches deep aside from the plant shelf on the right 1/3rd. I really do not think the pump is flowing too much. If I did I could throttle it back further. I'm sure given time it would settle but I'd rather mechanically filter it out so it's not laying on the bottom.

I figure what, 600 or 700 gallons? It took two hose bibs 2 hours to fill the thing up. Assuming each runs about 5 gallons per minute that's right at 600

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Do you currently have any kind of filtration other than your skimmer? Do you have matala or filter pads in your skimmer? Kim

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your sides look low and the gravel around it looks like it allows the water to just flow in when it rains,Did you clean the rocks or soak them before building the pond .Eventually it will stop on it's own

Reaction score
Yes u r going to need a filter. This may be an ongoing problem based on the looks of things. For now, how about a milk crate filled with material under the first waterfall? Do u plan to have fish? Looks nice by the way.

Reaction score
Nothing else yet, was going to add uv next spring. I can add matala to the skimmer box but will that trap silt? It didn't look like it to me. Runoff won't be a problem the whole lot slopes down from left to right and the main drainage from the lot is at the back fence line, it'll be fine... I'll put a couple koi and some plants in the spring but nothing serious. Maybe a turtle.

Ask a Question