New pond - brown water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

the pond was first filled in early July so it's been established for 5 weeks. The capacity is about 4,500 litres. I have an Oasis Green to Clear 6000 filter - http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/lotus-green-to-clean-6000-pond-filter/p342 . It's designed for a 6000 litre pond. It has a 9W UV lamp The pump is putting 3,000 litres/hour through it. I have to clean the sponge in the filter about twice a week.

It's well stocked with water lillies, oxygenators and marginal plants - there are photos on my showcase. I have 8 goldfish that have been in for a couple of weeks and they are healthy, active and eating well.

I tested the water a couple of days ago with the API kit:
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

I think I've been through the inital algae rush - the water went pea green about two weeks after fitting and started to clear about week 4.

All looks good except that the water is still very brown. I can barely make out the planters in the bottom of the pond - I can see about 18 inches down. As it was done as part of a complete garden landscaping project, I'm sure some soil and dust found its way in there.

Is it likely to clear on it's own, or do I need to give it a little assistance? I'm inclined to do a series or water changes, maybe 10% a week for a few weeks.

Any suggestions?
Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I hear that you have to determine what make the water brown first. By put the water in a class container and see if it's a small particle / debris or just brown in color.

If brown in color then I suggest more activated carbon. I had tannin problem and it helped a lot. this takes time so you can also do water change. But if you cant figure the cause then it'll likely happen again.

If debris, then use quilt batting to filter the debris. I made a pre-filter box with quilt batting and put the pump in the middle. Also you can have a basket with quilt batting and run the water from your pump through it before it goes back to the pond.

Hope this help.

Reaction score
You may not want to hear this but I dont think your filter of your flow rate are going to be very effective for you. That is a small filter. It says it is god for a pond of 4500 litres with fish. Even that I dont believe. Also, it looks like your pump takes 2 hours to flow the total volume of the pond. That is slower than I have seen anyone recommend for a small pond. I can fill my pond with dirt to the extent that I can't see more than a foot down and the next morning it is clear again and I can see the bottom clearly over 4 feet down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I hear that you have to determine what make the water brown first. By put the water in a class container and see if it's a small particle / debris or just brown in color.

Is the brown opaque?

I've put a sample of the water in a glass jar and looked at it closely in daylight. The water has a lemony yellow tinge to it, but there are also particles suspended in the water.

did you fill the pond from your septic?
sorry couldnt help myself.

:poop: You mean I shouldn't have filled it from the septic tank?? :poop:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think you still have suspended particles in your pond. You just need to let your mechanical filtration do its work.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
By the way, I took a look at the specs of this filter and manufacturers are often wildly optimistic of what their filters can do. A 4500l/1000g pond with goldfish using a filter of this size utilizing static submerged media is like using a 15g Skippy filter. But in the end, your water tests is what will tell you what is adequate. As long as your testing gives you 0 ammonia and nitrite, you'll be ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
John,
thanks for your comments. I am washing out the sponges every other day, and syphoning off lots of debris from the bottom of the filter, which substantiates your comments.

Test results are fine, so the bio side is working properly.
I think I'll do some research and look to design a home made filter. Space is the issue, as the pond is raised, but where there's a will there's a way.

Regards,
Chris

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have a half raised pond and built my own filters and right now rebuilding one of them .The 1 I am rebuilding but rains have put a stop to that .My other filter

Attachments

• pond roberts tv insurance 017.JPG
    pond roberts tv insurance 017.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 242
  • pond roberts tv insurance 022.JPG
    pond roberts tv insurance 022.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 277
  • pond 20th 2014 015.JPG
    pond 20th 2014 015.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 288
  • pond april 2nd 2014 103.JPG
    pond april 2nd 2014 103.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Look at using pre-filter if you have space problem. I also have the same problem and I have a raised pond also. I just got a large enough container with lid, drilled holes all around them close together, add 3 types of filter pads all around the inside walls, build a little cage for my pump so to hold the filter off my pump, then put the pump in and voila, my pond is clear, just a little brown from tennis but I'm ok with that, as long as it's clear, I don't mind the color as much.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I think I'll do some research and look to design a home made filter. Space is the issue, as the pond is raised, but where there's a will there's a way.
Regards,
Chris
May I suggest using moving media for your DIY filter, it's the most efficient.

Reaction score
May I suggest using moving media for your DIY filter, it's the most efficient.
Why? He is rinsing his filters daily due to the amount of debris. Moving media is for biological filtration, is it not? He already said "test results are fine so bio side is working properly". Assuming "fine" means 0 ammonia and nitrite.
Youre obsessed with moving media man. It's not always the right solution.

Ask a Question