New pond build, lots of questions

Reaction score
j.w said:
Lots of peeps use carpet, blankets anything soft and it would take a long time to decay underground I would think and if you buy a good liner you should not have a problem w/ whatever you choose for the underlayment.
Love the ducks........had some when I was a kid. Now you can tell that this was a really long time ago and these pix are antiques now, like me :lol::

Casey and Kelly

CaseyandKelly5.jpg

CaseyandKelly4.jpg

CaseyandKelly6.jpg

CaseyandKelly3.jpg

addy1 said:
I have used old carpet and padding, both last a long time and being underground it does not batter if they get yucky. Padding tends to not break down as much.

You are not a antique jw.................just starting life lol! every day you are just starting the rest of your life.

i know i am so with addy on this one, j.w you are NOT an antique and dont let anyone including yourself say anything different, i like addy's expression everyday a new life

Reaction score
Ok, I started this on Saturday. My DH had knee surgery on Tuesday and sat on the patio and watched me get the frame built

Base layer leveled
P1030582.jpg

Then started building it up
P1030592.jpg

P1030632.jpg

Then we decided to build the filter box on at the back, well, we decided I'd build it on to the back lol
P1030642.jpg

Finished view of the day
P1030654.jpg

DH was able to help me yesterday and he cut 10' rebar into 40" sections and he then drilled the holes into the timbers after I lined them back up again and sat on them to keep them in place while he drilled. Then we put 24 pieces of rebar into the pond portion. Thankfully, he helped with that too or I'm sure there'd still be about 18 pieces of rebar sticking up LOL
P1030662.jpg

Then this morning I used some flooring underlaying stuff and lined the inside of the timbers and spread out the pond liner
IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4279.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

Next step is the drain in the corner near the filter box. It's dug out, but I need to cut the liner. Need to get brave and cut the liner and get the drain installed, filled back in under it and then keep going. Get the corners done nicely.

tips for cutting the liner for the drain?
tips for the corners?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks really nice and love the dogs...........they may have decided that is their place to play even when the water is added :confused:

Reaction score
Jet - greyhound, hasn't been interested since I put up the 3rd layer of timbers and she was just after the nice sand. So won't have to worry about her.
Tavarish - dobe, hasn't shown interest at being in it yet, so hopefully he stays out as well.
Abby - dane, has stayed out of it since I put the liner in it today.

Just installed the drain and will let it cure for an hour before I back fill the rest of the way under the liner around the drain with sand then hook up the rest of the plumbing on the other side.
Silicone around the drain will be fully cured in 24 hours, so no water until tomorrow.

Can I attach the liner to the top rail of timbers or do I need to fill it first?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seems to me you should fill it first as the liner will pull down from the weight of the water but maybe someone else can let you know for sure as I don't have an above ground pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
think the dogs enjoyed the dig more and watching reminds me of a rustic log cabin build maybe the dogs thought it was a house for them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pond is partly above ground as as your ground and sand settle from the weight it will pull your liner down more I marked mine every day for 2 weeks and it would sink an inch or two ..I used a grease marker .I thought someone was pulling a joke on me at first so marked it in 6 different places and all sides sunk differently .Finally after 2 weeks it slowed down to an inch a week .The more water I put in the more it settled ..I left the extra liner tucked under and thank god I did as I had to raise the sides of the pond to make it deeper

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
tlwr fill first, attach second, it will settle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Awwwwwww gee I hope they get to get in there soon..............too cute :(

Ask a Question