New pond build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am building a small wildlife pond for my neighbour, about 6ft x 4ft 12 inches deep, initially it will be filled with tap water and have a gravel bottom, could i put plants in soil less straight into gravel, or should i use baskets until silt builds up on the bottom ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Bo - I feel like you already asked about planting pond plants in gravel. Am I mistaking your question for something else? You did say that you were building yourself a pond in your last question - is this the same pond?

To reiterate - pond plants will grow in gravel. No silt required.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thing is most times a wildlife pond may become a mosquito breeder so that will have to be factored in .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Bo - I feel like you already asked about planting pond plants in gravel. Am I mistaking your question for something else? You did say that you were building yourself a pond in your last question - is this the same pond?

To reiterate - pond plants will grow in gravel. No silt required.
No Lisa this is a new pond, i asked the question before about my own pond which has gravel and silt, this will be a new pond with no silt just gravel . however you have answered my question .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, good! Sometimes people post the same question in multiple places and it gets confusing.

Have you shared a photo of your pond? We all love to see pictures!
I did share one in my thread on soil less planting

Ask a Question