New pond builder

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1577673556445461585981659398718.jpg
1577673556445461585981659398718.jpgHi
I live in Perth Western Australia, and as you can see I have started digging my pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like it may be a good size project. Want to tell us what your plan is, i built my first pond not so long ago and many here helped in ways i never thought of

Welcome to the foru

I thought i was the only one who started this time of year but for me it was the day before x mass and our winter time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Nice start of a hole!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks guys this forum is a great discovery. I got inspired to build my pond from visiting tropical gardens in Thailand and watching the Pond Guy on YouTube. Buying an Aquascape pond kit or parts is so expensive here in Australia, so I have abandoned that idea. I hope to build a pond about 3m by 4 m (9 X12 feet) and 3foot or one metre deep. If the pond is deeper than 1foot a permit and fence is required. I want to create a tropical look with a 1 foot waterfall at the back.
I have been given a pool pump and sand filter. Can I use this for a pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Did you mean a permit would be needed for over 3ft deep?
A pool filter will clog up very fast so thinking you will need a real pond pump and filter of some sort. I'm using a Laguna pump w/ a pre-filter but you might want something more efficient that you don't need to clean that often. My pond is around 2400 gals which is about what yours would be too.
How to calculate pond size:
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/calculate-pond-size-gallons-83514.html

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't speak for Australian conditions but from what i have seen here and online and you tube. it seems very few people have been unhappy with a bog filter and have ripped out there bog and spent thousands on a nexus or some other high dollar filter. But i have seen several times those with bead filters and sand filters pull out those expensive filters and put a LIVING bog in and i have not seen one person say they wish they had stayed with the mechanical filters. Bog filters are very easy to construct and are relatively cheap it requires underlayment , rubber, stone and pipe that's about it . if you keep your fish load low and your maintenance up i'd imagine a mechanical could work but most pool pumps are not meant to run 24/7

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I Never thought of a bog filter. I will have the room for one. I will have to research . Thanks this site is awesome

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I Never thought of a bog filter. I will have the room for one. I will have to research . Thanks this site is awesome
I run my system with a bog filter, full of plants and pea gravel. I have around 12000 gallons of moving water kept perfect with the bog. No green water, minimal algae, crystal clear water. This picture is the 5 foot deep area, you can see the trap door snails on the bottom. and bits of pea gravel that has collected over the years . The plants are bits of hornwort starting to grow.
20160912_122713.jpg

My only filter system. The ponds (8) are run with one pump. I do have a small pump used only to send water up our steep hill to the deck ponds (2), it sends up dirty water which water falls and follows a stream down to the big pond where the bog cleans the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Kevinw ! So glad you found us here on the GPF. You'll find lots of great information to help you on your way to becoming a happy pond owner. I'm a bog owner as well - wouldn't change it for the world!

Ask a Question