New pond built - looking for advice.

Reaction score
Hi All

Just new to the pond scene and just looking for a little advice.

We have just built the following pond in our back garden. (Please ignore the silly solar powered water feature :))

Smallfeederpond_zps0a51eb93.jpg

The small pond is fed from a pool that is within the trees you can just see the small opening, then the small pond feeds the larger pond. We had to put in a temporary secondary pump, you can see the black hose in the picture as the original pump is faulty.

MainPond_zps9b9c83f9.jpg

mainpondbridge_zps7cfd650c.jpg

Just for a little scaling the bridge in the picture is around 2 meters long and just under a meter wide.

The big pond goes from shallow (under the bridge) to deep it also has shelves all around the pond at varying depths.

As you can see the pond looks very basic and lifeless, so I am now looking for advice on how to make it look more natural using surface, submerged and shelving plants, eventually we will have fish but I want to get the feel and plants correct first.

What are recommendations, any and all are appreciated as this is the first pond we have had. Any other advice is appreciated aswell.

Cheers

Dougie

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am guessing the pond is all concrete .I have to say it all looks great nice hard scape .But I see no water movement and that is what adds air and is there some type of filter Your pump went out or is it just clogged .

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Looks nice! I started my pond with hornwort, parrot feather, water hyacinth and lettuce, some dwarf cat-tails and a lily. I'm pretty convinced it's the large plant load that I put in it first that's limited my algae growth before putting in the fishies. I started with all good intentions of staying with goldfish and shubunkins, but ended up with 2 kois as well last weekend! :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am really concerned because there seems to be no movement to the water and if he adds plants they will use up whatever oxygen is in the pond .Remember plants give off oxygen during the day but suck it up at night .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I like it
some nice looking planted pots would help

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice, add some plants on your shelves, floating on the surface, they change the look of a pond very nicely.

Reaction score
Hi All

Thanks for the replies, the pump was off when these pictures were taken hence the reason for it being so still, still doing some work on the ponds but hopefully will be ready for planting within the next week or 2.

Cheers

Dougie

Ask a Question