New Pond Caretaker

Reaction score
I had a pond installed last fall, so this is my first year. I have had aquariums most of my life but had gotten out of it several years ago. However, I found that the fish bug had not gotten out of me. I love gardening so the marriage of the two was inevitable, I guess. My wife wanted a new patio with a water fall for ambiance. What the heck is a water fall without a pond? The pond is 1000 gallons, kidney shaped, with a two foot water fall in the inside of the “kidney’. It is terraced, four levels, with the deepest part slightly over 24 inches. I have four Sarasa comets, three gold comets, and three Japanese/American Shubunkins (I kind of favor the Shubunkins the most). That was before the spawning….. now we have about a dozen (it seems a few more show up every week) fry of various sizes and colors. There are at least five Shubunkin (yeah), one orange, one white/orange, and about six or so (little buggers will not sit still long enough to count) still in their native garb. I hope they do not take too long to change. It is tough learning as you go, but also part of the fun. I am looking forward to receiving a lot of help from all of you. Thank you in advance.

Ask a Question