New pond design

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m looking for some advice. I’m designing a goldfish pond. I haven’t had one in 20 years and I’m really exited about this build given all the advances in the industry. No more making a skimmer from a trash can!!

Here’s my initial design. I’m in Georgia. I want a rather maintenance free pond with proper filtration. A dozen fish or so. The site is north facing and gets about 4 hours sun. I keep changing the design as I educate myself. I’m trying to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I don’t want fancy bead filters, UV…Please comment with thoughts and advice.

8x8x3’. Helix small skimmer with overflow and auto fill from sprinkler system. External pump (size?) Under gravel suction filter piped to external pump then fed to 5x5’ Bog filter. Three way valve at pump suction for skimmer and under gravel.

I’m rather limited on the size and location where I’m putting this. I’m debating placing a small Helix WF bio filter (air?). The WF would only have a 6” drop or so. This would be more for aesthetics.

Will this system keep the pond clean? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome. Would also suggest a bog filter, but under gravel filter is pretty similar to a bog filter.

You could also reverse the flow, pulling from skimmer and sending to UG filter. Should get similar results with less risk of clogging.

You won’t get any nitrate reduction with a UG filter, though, so will either need lots of plants elsewhere or lots of water changes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i loved the idea of the helix skimmer i spent the cash 700 at the time and watched fish swim in and out. However a butterfly koi as it swam in had it's long fins get sucked in between the floating weir and the shelf . And yes it killed the fish... while the helix is nice as it has a mat filter and a skimmer basket. I have since abandoned the skimmer and have gone with a elongated intake bay and at the end of that is a negative edge. leaves debris settle in the intake bay and is then skimmed with a net or a vacuum.
The bog is definitely a must in my eyes. a picture is worth a thousand words
BEST POND LAYOUT (100 of 1).jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone tried the Helix setup with Skimmer and bio falls on a 1000-1500 gallon pond? Results??

I’m debating forgoing the bog filter due to lack of space, but will install an under gravel suction filter with the above setup.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your good about not over feeding.
Not loading the pond wish fish.
Keep up on maintenance . That combo can work. But you certainly don't get more surface space for bacteria to grow with a bio falls over a bog. Of comparable size

Ask a Question