New Pond, Dreaded Algae Bloom

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Good day all,

My 2700 gallon rock pond is doing ok I guess. I am experiencing an algae bloom with hair(string) algae everywhere. :(

I put in a large bag of Barley Pellets in the waterfall weir on top of the lava rock about a week a go and it has cleared the green water but not
the algae har. In fact my water has somewhat of a steaped tea color to it now.

I have no fish, which I have been told will eat hair algae and I don't think I have enough plants in the pond to compete with the algae for
nutrients. This pond also gets a lot of sun.

Pond Specs:

-2700 gallons
-Pump = 3100 gph easypro in the skimmer box.
-Skimmer has a filter pad and basket.
-Water is drawn to a waterfall weir filled with Lava rock and Barley Pellets

I have cleaned out the basket and filter pad twice but they were not really that dirty. I have not done a water change as I have not purchased a second pump to do that as yet but I have no fish polluting the water at this time.

Story:

Our local garden nursery which carries pond supplies(including fish), as well as plant supplies also has two ponds running on there property. The owner who has been a pond guy for over 17 years keeps his main(larger) pond running all winter with the same set up
I have. Skimmer box and waterfall weir, nothing else. Says he leaves the waterfall running all winter. No heater in use. Never has needed to unhook the pump for any reason including cleaning.

His pond is a rock pond roughly the same size as mine with rocks!!!!. They have several large size and various other size koi in this pond and he mentioned they have ran it like this for 10 years?? He also has never been inside the pond to clean it!!, Not once? He cleans the skimmer out and the media in the waterfall weir and adds sludge remover to help the skimm pick up more stuff.

2 Questions for serious KOI owners:

1. I also want to run my pond all winter to include the waterfall. What are the risks?

2. Has this guy been incredibly lucky going this long without the having major problems I have read about with respect to having a rock
bottom pond especially considering they have not even done a major empty and clean that is usually required if having koi in a rock
bottom pond?

Thanks in advance.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You didnt mention if the Nursery pond is clean and clear

If his could run all winter i dont know why yours wouldnt

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Hi DrCase,

Thank you for replying. Their pond is crystal clear and not even as deep as mine. Mabey 3 feet max. I can see the rocks on the bottom and they have
only that nice dark blanket algae on them. The Koi colors and shape seem vibrant? Some of them look to be at least 17 or 18 inches long.

I just don't get it?

I am bewildered for sure??

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure how pond sludge remover works, so I googled it and found this article, which still really didnt answer my question on exactly how it works, but i would imagine it breaks it down enough that the particals then float around in the water and can be sucked up by your skimmer? This article also says that oxygen levels can drop dangerously low while using the stuff.

I would imagine, that nursery is throwing away tons of money by having to add that sludge remover all the time (and stressing those koi if it is removing oxygen from the water)

http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/ProductProfiles/BacteriaBottle.htm

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know here in VA I have seen 3 that keep theres running all winter but 2 have ponds with no fish and add a lot of solar salt to there pond and I am guessing that is what keeps the water from freezing but they have also told me in the 5 and 6 years of there ponds they have each gone through 3 really expensive pumps and was told buy the last company that there was so much salt it crystalized in the pumps hosing and ruined the pump .I understand from them it was a warranty thing from the companies .I looked at there pump and there was a lot of white stuff inside the pumps they were running then .We turned it off to take a look at them .I am not sure about how much salt is safe for pumps .I wonder if anyone knows the answer and can answer that question .I have never heard pumps being ruined by to much salt but can it happen really or is something else going on with theses pumps 2 were savios and the other short memory here I forgot what they said

Reaction score
The main problem with hair algae is that it is very difficult to get rid of once it takes a hold. Do you test your water for phosphates? Some Water companies put phosphate in tap water to help the metal pipes "last longer". Also make sure you have good water movement in all areas of the pond. Stagnate water helps hair algae grow since nothing is pulling it. Do not ad fish until you solve your problem because their waste will only fuel more growth from the algae. Another very important thing that I learned in reef aquariums is that hair algae and some others are toxic to fish if one tries to clean inside the tank/pond. There are fish that eat the algae (plecos, etc.) have you tired them? I have one in my small pond and he does wonders, no algae at all.

Ask a Question