New pond filter help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I am new here. My husband and I built a small (450ish gallon) po d last year. It has a 630 gph pump with 3/4 in tubing, a waterfall created with a spillway box and rocks. I originally put one small koi and one small comet and about 12 minnows. The only one left is the comet. He lasted all year through winter and still seems fine. I added 2 more small koi and another goldfish with several more minnows a couple of weeks ago. Now all that's left is the comet, regular goldfish and one koi. I have treated the water with the clarifier, sludge remover and algacide from lowes. I also bought a filter for my waterhose so when adding new water it will be safe.

I think I need filtration of some sort. The water is continually brown like just after rain and the fish don't seem to be doing well. I am on a very limited budget so I started looking into diy filtration and am super confused. I could do a 5 gallon bucket filter or maybe something in the spillway box? Any advice is greatly and!

Attachments

• 20220512_180406.jpg
    20220512_180406.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220509_120941.jpg
    IMG_20220509_120941.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yOU PROBABLY JUST MENTIONED what your problem is . When it rains i would bet if falls as clear water. soooo if your pond turns murky and brown when it rains you probably have a low edge and run off is getting in your pond. This can include pesticides, fertilizers and oils that is a place to start look for a way runoff is getting in your pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652585635715.gif
and welcome @MamaJ
Your gonna have to remove the rocks around the pond edge and build a dirt berm all the way around the edges and then lay the liner over that so it's mounded up and then no water will run in through the dirt and into your pond. Hope you have enough liner to lift up and over the mounded dirt. If you can't do that then maybe there is a way to trench around it or something but I'm not that familiar w/that plan.
A step ledge several inches down the sides of the pond would have been best but not sure you want to have to do all that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your replies. It has not rained in a few weeks. I have had it clear during that time, but within a day or two it is cloudy again. We didn't originally plan to put fish in, and this was our first try building a pond so I know we made several mistakes. At the moment there is no filtration except for a course sponge pad in the pump itself and the waterfall. I'd like to add some sort of filter, but after a bit of research I am more confused than before. I can't really afford one of the pre-made ones at the moment so I was hoping to diy something until I can get a better one. I have seen a few videos on making one from a 5 gallon bucket and I was wondering if that would be a good idea? At this point I am somewhat discouraged and thinking that we may have to tear the whole thing down and start over. I really really don't like that idea, but honestly don't know if we can make it work the way it is now.

Also I have read that koi will only grow to the size of what their environment will support. Is that incorrect? I only want 2 koi and a few goldfish. Is that unreasonable?

Thank you all again!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@MamaJ Yes, koi won’t attain their full length/size in a small pond, but this will shorten their life span and stress them. They will get big enough though, that they also cause water quality issues in your pond best to stick with goldfish, otherwise you are just setting yourself up for more headaches down the road.

Also, brown water could b tannins from leaves, or woody debris ending up in the pond. Your one shot of the pond looks like cloudy water like a bacteria bloom, be careful adding too many fish at once to a small pond, as they can cause ammonia spikes as the pond bacteria population expands to keep up with the waste load. I see no plants in the pond either, your water quality will be helped greatly by adding a significant amount of plants to the pond, especially fast growing plants. Remember that the faster a plant grows and spreads the more nutrients it consumes and needs to support this growth.

If you aren’t adverse to diy something search bog/ wetland filters on here there are all kinds of diy bogs that most on here (myself included) use as filters for their ponds. These are easily the most aesthetically pleasing, easy maintenance solutions to water quality issues. You can add it on so it looks like it is part of the pond or can plumb in an above ground tank/containers of some sort that spills back into the pond. You want to shoot for about 30% of pond surface area for the bog size would be ideal.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! If I were to tear out the pond area (not waterfall) and dig deeper, could I keep the same circumference but add more depth and the step ledge to make it more fish friendly? I'm okay with just goldfish, but want to consider all my options. How deep would it need to be?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also how/where would I go about adding the bog filter to the existing waterfall area? I'd rather not have to buy a second pump to have them separate if possible

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MamaJ The rule of thumb for koi is: for the first koi, you need a minimum of 1000 gallons; for each additional koi, add 250-500 gallons. As @Jhn said, anything less than this will result in water quality issues, and that results in sick/dead fish, and a lot of frustration. I would advise to stick to goldfish for your size pond. What you choose to do is up to you, but we tend to advocate in favor of the fish.

Why not do some reading about THE NITROGEN CYCLE as a starting point. It seems complicated, but it really isn’t and is the backbone of a healthy pond and healthy fish. I don’t know your level of education, but there are plenty of articles that explain it very well. Personally, I am one of those people who has to read the “….For Dummies” version of everything. Also, get a liquid water test kit (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, and KH — a liquid kit is more reliable than dipsticks — most here use API brand). This will help you understand what is going on with the nitrogen cycle.

Keeping a pond of any size (with any type of fish) is all about balance, and it is dynamic process. The more you understand the basics, the more you will enjoy your pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also how/where would I go about adding the bog filter to the existing waterfall area? I'd rather not have to buy a second pump to have them separate if possible
The pump for your pond actually pumps the water into the bog. No need for a separate pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Mmathis thank you. I will do that. I like the goldfish so I will stick with those for now. So I would set up the filter with the existing pump, then the outflow hose to the spillway box? I put a test kit in my Amazon cart but I would like to find one locally if possible. Maybe the pet store or lowes. Any recommendations for plants for the filter and in the pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also is the sludge remover, clarifier and algacide from lowes the same as starter bacteria?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Also is the sludge remover, clarifier and algacide from lowes the same as starter bacteria?
No it’s not. Starter bacteria is unnecessary and most of it isn’t even beneficial not harmful either but not beneficial. There are a few products out there that truly have live bacteria like fritz-zydeco is one that comes to mind, but even it is unnecessary if you are patient. Your pond has plenty of bacteria present on all wet surfaces, just add fish slowly so the bacteria population can expand to prevent spikes in ammonia and nitrites.

The existing pump can feed the bog and waterfall at the same time just add a Y to the output hose and some valves and you can feed both with one pump.

Good nutrient consuming plants are water cress, parrots feather, water forgetmenots, water celery, creeping jenny. These are are very quick growers but can weeded back easily. There is also water hyacinth and water lettuce. You can add pickerel rush, cannas, taros, iris which will all help and add some height and interesting flowers, to the pond area, as well. There are many plants that can be added to a pond or bog that most don’t associate with a pond, just look for plants that like to be in wet areas. Just avoid plants with extensive root systems in your bog if you do a bog.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Something like this could be used as a small bog. Run the water from your pump to the bottom of the tub, fill with pea gravel , stick in some plants! Stay away from algacides and chemicals, they do more harm than good.
MacCourt 26-ft L x 26-ft W Black High Density Polyethylene Pond Liner (20-Gallon)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We don’t advocate the use of any chemicals, except a dechlorinator if you are on city water. They complicate the pond’s ecosystem and drain your wallet. IOW, there is no benefit from using any of these. The bacteria will occur naturally, and you can remove sludge/leaves with a net, if necessary. You will have algae — it’s normal, and not a bad thing. Plants will help keep that under control. BUT THE BIGGEST PART OF KEEPING A HEALTHY, BALANCED POND…..IS PATIENCE. Nothing will and nothing should happen overnight.

You can look at pet stores for water testing kits. As far as I know, Lowe’s doesn’t sell them for fish ponds.

Ask a Question