New pond filtration options

Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be building a new pond in the next few weeks and have stumbled upon an issue regarding filtration. In my experience I have used a savio skimmmer/filter (with out UV) and a savio livingponds waterfall filter as my biological filtration. This has worked out fine for my 900 gallon pond with 10 4" - 10" fish. Only issue I've had is with single-cell algae in the summer.. I believe adding UV would fix this.

This new build will be a 6000 gallon pond with 40 fish ranging in size from 2" to 18". (approx. 10 of the fish are in the 15" - 18" range). I'm wondering if there would be added benefit to include a pressure filter with UV in addition to the two savio filters (skimmer and biofalls).

Thanks for any advice. If you have questions or need more information to help me out, just let me know.

-Trae

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
quilt batting in a crate cleaned with peroxide and water and crushed oyster shells will stabilize your ph .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53507]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use a bog, keeps my pond perfect, none of the single cell algae. I have not heard good things about pressure filters.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I agree. You'll find this forum is against store bought filters. DIY filters are the best. Pressure filters are a hassle to clean and won't work as well. BTW, welcome to the forum.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I sometimes refer those filters as filters for dummies ,no offense to anyone that has one and it works for you .But seems for larger ponds they are more work than they are worth .If you need anything frank let me know I am only an hour or so from you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am NOT offended but I use a pressurized filter with a uv, for dummies:) My pond is exactly 1670 gallons, as I measured when it was filled last fall after removing the gravel. I have never noted an odor, but I clean it twice per week in the summer months. I just clean mine with a strong jet of water from my hose.

I also have a Savio skimmer with matala pads in it. I'm quite interested in a small bog , perhaps in a container, this summer. I have five koi…guessing about 24 inches.

JMHO folks:)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess you could call my filters mini bogs since I grow plants in my filter .I just have to trim the roots at least once every 2 months .Both filters get plants in them and I don't do much but trim them .I also guess with pressure filters it depends on size and how much you back flush them .I have 2 I bought and they still sit in the basement unused .I bought them end of year and boxes were a little damage 25 dollars a piece if I remember correctly .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57797]

Reaction score
All,

Thank you for your input. Most helpful. I've been happy with my savio skimmerfilter and savio bio falls and so have my fish.

For this job I have quoted it without a pressure filter... we'll see what the client wants to do!

Thanks again.

Also.. this new website layout looks and feels great!

-Trae

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Frank. I have a great diagram of a bio-filter which can be used in conjunction with the filters you have now. You can do this naturally by making a larger filter like the ones we use. I haven't had to clean or hose down my bio-media for 27 year because the filter works so well. If you would like a copy of this diagram, let me know.

Hugs, Lorraine

Reaction score
Lorraine,

I would love to have that diagram! 27 Years!! That's what I'm talking about :)
-Trae

Hi Frank. I have a great diagram of a bio-filter which can be used in conjunction with the filters you have now. You can do this naturally by making a larger filter like the ones we use. I haven't had to clean or hose down my bio-media for 27 year because the filter works so well. If you would like a copy of this diagram, let me know.

Hugs, Lorraine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Lorraine,

I too, would like to see your diagram. It might prove beneficial to me as well.

Gordy
Can I request a copy of this diagram....I have a lot of preparing before I start digging my first pond next month.

Reaction score

Hugs, Lorraine
me too please!!!!

Ask a Question