New Pond, gray water

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I recently (3 weeks ago) dug up a flower garden in my back patio to create a pond. Its roughly 6ft x 5ft, and water depth ranges between 17-22 inches. It has a water fall powered by a 650 GPH pump, and the pump is submerged inside a filter box with mechanical filter media and some bio balls.
I also added some more bio balls inside the water fall. When I first filled the pond and dechlorinated it, the water was perfectly clear. After a few days, the water was still clear and ph was right at 7.0, so I added about 10 of the tiny comet feeder goldfish. I thought it was best to start with cheap fish to validate that the water is safe before investing in more expensive varieties.

Anyway, all good at this point, and I leave town for 2 days. When I return, the fish are all fine, but the water is not as clear as before. I could still see the bottom and all the fish, but it certainly wasn't the crystal clear look it had before. I tested for ph, ammonia, phosphate, and nitrites, and all levels were in the ideal range. Since then, its been about two weeks. In that time, I've added a few tiny plants for filtration, used some water clarifying solution, cleaned the mechanical filter media, but the water clarity has been roughly the same (no better, no worse).

I suspect the cause is some nearby marble rocks that are dusty, and rainfall is washing their dust into the pond. There are a few reasons I think that is the cause, rather than an algae bloom: (1) the water is gray, not green, (2) the water tests keep showing perfect levels - 7.0 ph and 0ppm for ammonia, nitrite and phosphate, and (3) it seems like such an obvious problem that would happen, given the dusty marble is right next to the pond and I can clearly see some of the dust on the liner.

I'm getting ready to remove the white rocks and do a partial water change, but before I do, I wanted to ask the community a few questions:

1. Based on the above descriptions and technical specs below, does it sound like I've found the right cause, or should I be treating for an algae bloom?
2. Approximately how much water should I change?
3. Is there anything I can do to step up my filtration game? In a few weeks, pollen season will hit us HARD. everything turns yellow/green, and I'd hate to see that stuff cloud up the water right after I get it cleared up from this current problem.

Here are all the specifics on my pond, and photos to help issustrate the issue.
Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond): 0 ppm
* Nitrite Level (pond): 0 ppm
* Ammonia Level (tap water) 0.25 ppm
* Nitrite Level (tap water) 0.0 ppm
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 7.0 Ph
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine) 8.0 Ph
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API Pond Master, Drops

Other useful information:
* Water temperature? 58F
* Aquatic Plants: Horsetail, hardy waterlilies, anacharis, umbrella palm
* Pond size and how long has it been running? 6 ft x 5ft, 17-22in deep (approx 360 gallons)
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Total Pond Universal Pump Filter Box (12.20 x 6.18 x 5.87 in.)
* How often do you change the water and how much? I have not changed the water yet.
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? I have never changed the water. Pond only 3 weeks old.
* How many fish in the pond and their type? 14 x comet goldfish (tiny feeders), 6 x Rainbow Dace, 1 x Sarasa Comet (3-4inch), 1 x Shubunkin Goldfish (3-4inch)
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used? Tetra Pond AquaSafe Tap Water Conditioner, Fritz Clarifier, PondWorx Pond Bacteria
* What do you feed your fish and how often? Tetra Goldfish Vitamin C Enriched Flakes, fed once daily
* Any new fish added to the pond recently? yes. The Sarasa Comet and the Shubunkin were added today. Not planning any more.
* Any medications added to the pond? No
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond: None
* Any unusual findings on the fish? No
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Not sure if its unusual, but the fish don't seem to trust people yet. They won't eat until I leave the area.

Attachments

• 87063547_10218792167808729_8657253097648685056_n.jpg
    87063547_10218792167808729_8657253097648685056_n.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 87151188_10218800358533492_3253808859139014656_n.jpg
    87151188_10218800358533492_3253808859139014656_n.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 6.11.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-26 at 6.11.08 PM.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 192
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would remove all `the soil from around your plants that are in the water. Your plants are getting the nutrients they need from your soils especially since they are freshly potted and loaded with fertilizers. put the plants back into the little pots or into a larger pot but use only pea stone as a potting material. The plants will need to take the nutrients they need to survive from your water. if you have green algae you have plenty of food for the plants sitting in a bed of stone. ADD ALOT MORE PLANTS. up behind the water fall i would turn that area into a bog same thing no soils just roots in water and pea stone.
You have a new setup it needs time to become a eco system a balance ..Nice job on your creation....... as you plants grow" the many many new plants and your water clears remove plants .... the other thing you can do is to add filter material batting in or around your pump and house or even have the water dump onto the batting.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1582764267255.gif
@kmerenda
You have a lovely pond and are doing a great job on caring for it.
I think your water just needs to settle in for a bit longer and the fines filter could help by running a hose from your pump over a bucket of quilt batting that will get rid of the foggy look to the water like @GBBUDD suggested. I agree add many more plants. Sedges are good plants to put into pots in the pond. They love to suck up the extra nutrients in your water from the fish poo and any rotting vegetation etc. I would not add any more fish as yours will grow and will breed eventually and you may end up giving fish away. I don't add any chemicals to clear my water. You do have to use the chlorine remover that you have every time you add fresh water unless it is just a small amount. Most people here never change the pond water, just top it off when it evaporates some from the heat. I have well water and every once in awhile I let water slowly out while I slowly run my well water in. I have too many fish and not a great filter system so I choose to do that.
Fish may stay scared of you for a long while. Eventually they will become more relaxed unless you get a predator visiting the pond then they will be scared all over again. If you have any predators you may want to erect a net over the pond. A pond can get wiped out fast by them. Oh yes I know as the Great Blue Heron used to visit my pond but now w/the net not anymore. No more raccoons either.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to clean it you can get a crate and put quilt batting in it and a hose from the pump to the crate and it will catch everything .Takes awhile for fish to get used to you .I do it by not feeding them for a day or 2 and then put food in my hand and they will come to your hand slowly each time you try It .Eventually they will give up and take a chance as you mean the source food

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi there ,,looks to me like you are using concrete blocks to set the plants on...and the white film is most likely lime leaching into the water.if you are using a lot of blocks the amount can get out of hand.by stopping the oxygen,carbon dioxide,and ammonia intake which can coat the gills of your fish. and they can die. i have heard of acid wash to cement pond to cure this but i never did this . i would change the blocks to rocks or pond safe plastic . or other material .not limestone..if it was mine i would remove the blocks , fish clean the pond. replace the dirt in the pots with sand., when you clean the filter put the media in water that has been treated so not to kill off the bacteria. i noticed the ph swing you posted i sure fire indication of lime leaching.... always use a water treatment that kills both chlorine ,and chloramines . i recommend pond prime. it use to be cheap like 22.00for 2 L treats 40000 . but now that foster and smith got bought out by petco its much higher. hope this helps.. mike

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Your pond is new, it needs time to cycle, build up good bacteria. Beautiful pond!

Ask a Question