New pond guy

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new pond guy, I've been building for a little over a year now. I'm happy with my first project right now, but have already considered expansion. My project is 3000 gallons, with three separate pools joined by two waterfalls. I've used somewhat different techniques to achieve this, I am interested in some feedback on my results, and ideas for future construction. I have constructed this pond to beautify my home, entertain my children, and advertise results that I can produce.

My pond is a liner pond, EPDM 40 mil 20' X 40', 6' deep at deepest point in the largest pond, which is about 10' X 13' and sloped throughout to the 4" bottom drain. I have shelves around the top of the shallow portion of this pond at about 12", and a skimmer installed.

Middle pool has a 6' X 2' bog garden portion filled with 6" lava rock and topped with sand, with dwarf water hyacinth, pickerel weed, and perrennial hibiscus as filter plants. I also have a deeper side to this pond, about 5' X 2' X 2.5' deep, just planted a water lily here in a 5g pot of cat litter surrounding a little compost and fert tabs. I have 3 of these in the big pool, too.

Top pool is really a narrow stream, just deep and slower moving at the bottom end, which spills from my filter, a 100g rubbermaid stock tank filled with washable air filter and biological filter media, and topped with lava rock. I installed two venturis under the media, where the water enters the filter, for silence I piped the intakes behind the filter. I have a couple of taro growing in the filter, with a few other plants.

My pump is an artesian external 1/8 HP 2" in, 2" out, 3030 GPH @ 4' head, plumbed with 4" intake PVC until 2"reducer to 2' backflow prevention valve at intake, and 2" spa flex PVC out to a split to two 1.5" pipes to enter filter through two 1.5" venturis which do restrict water flow to 1/2 " per immedialely reopening to 1.5". For you technical folks.

I will add some current photographs as soon as I can figure out how to shrink them from 3.54 MB to 146.5 KB. Tell me what you think, ask any questions you might have. Thanks in advance.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Peace brother, welcome to the forum.
Need an Avatar?

Attachments

• Peace cool type.JPG
    Peace cool type.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 259

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow you have a nice set up there!

Just use the paper clip attachment, it shrinks the pictures for you.

You can also use photo bucket and just post the link to your photo.

Will be neat to see when you get them posted.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I had to shrink them down with Irfanview, the forum would not accept them otherwise or shrink them itself. But, here are a few shots I've uploaded, my plants are in their first summer, so not very established yet, but you can get an idea of what's going on now.

Attachments

• Pond & Yard 041.jpg
    Pond & Yard 041.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Pond & Yard 045.jpg
    Pond & Yard 045.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Pond & Yard 054.jpg
    Pond & Yard 054.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 265
  • Pond & Yard 075.jpg
    Pond & Yard 075.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 300

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
An avatar is under your name on the left. Mine says DrDaves Koi and has a picture of a Koi and some Japanese charectors.
You have to size 80 x 80 or smaller for Avatars.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Little picture that goes with your name, you can pick one. It is under user cp, or use your own. Think must be 80x80 pixels, or smaller. it says how big.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
I'll figure out one, I fashion myself an artist, so... I'll have to create one.

Enjoy, paint a nice one!

Ask a Question