New pond, help with planting and setting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi and thanks for looking,

I have recently set up my small raised corner pond however I'm not satisfied with how it's looking (hiding fleck pipe and cables and cutting the liner is on my to do list) but I don't have the knowledge to put it right, what I would like to do is add more plants to cover some of the bottom but my pond measures 1m deep with no shelves and all my floating plants get pushed to one side,

So

My questions are

What plants should I be buying?

And any general recommendations?

Reaction score
The lilies should be in water about 18" deep so 1 m is too deep. I would put something in the pond to raise them off the bottom such as a black plastic crate. However at this late in the season I wouldn't expect much from them this year. As for the water hyacinth floating in the corner if you loosely tie a piece of fishing line around them you can anchor them in one place with a small weight such as a nut or washer. Don't worry about the bottom in a year or so it will be covered with natural stuff and you won't really see it. Also you might want to raise the water level some more to cover the top of the liner and consider adding a small water falls of some sort in the corner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Most waterlilies will do fine at greater than 18" depth. I have most of mine at 3 - 3 1/2 feet and they do great. (Some dwarf varieties do prefer shallower depths.)

Two things - no shelves make it difficult to plant marginals. And since your pond is small, you don't have room for much in the way of underwater crates or stands to hold pots up at the correct level. You may need to devise some type of over the side plant holder to plant any type of marginal. Lilies are about the only thing that will grow from the bottom at that depth.

Also, do you plan to add any type of waterfall or is the water going to flow into the pond from that pipe on the side? If you create that much of a current, your plants will naturally be pushed in the direction of the flow. Maybe you could work it so the water flows into the pond underwater instead of at the surface? Just a thought.

Ask a Question