New pond. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have built a raised pond 7x4ft, 2-3ft deep. I have fitted a pump with filter box (no uv) and fountain. It turned green quite soon after filling, I slowly introduced plants and gold fish, it cleared for a short while then turned very green and has stayed like this for several weeks now! Any suggestions on how to get clearer water? I clean filter once a week at moment and pond does get a lot of sunlight. Secondly after introducing nine gold fish, three weeks later and they all disappeared!? No sign of a heron, In fact I have never seen one in years near here. The only creature I have seen in next doors large garden is an adult one metre long grass snake! Coincidence??

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Are you sure the fish are gone? Could they be hiding? Lots of plants will help your green go away but it takes time.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fish are very good at hiding, one year I though all fish died over winter, then I saw 3. A week later around 100 showed up, the pond was pretty plant less, just a bit of hornwort on the bottom. Where did they hide, no clue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your reply’s. I built the pond end of March, left it awhile then introduced plants, then fish. It’s green soup now! It’s only a small pond 7x4ft, I have carefully checked for fish with a net and over the last week no sign of any fish at all. Have attached a pic.

Attachments

• AFA1C612-3D20-4999-96B4-C990B5B22F8E.jpeg
    AFA1C612-3D20-4999-96B4-C990B5B22F8E.jpeg
    288.5 KB · Views: 107

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wonder if maybe going out at night w/a small flashlight might help to see if they are still there? You could take a plastic basket or milk crate and fill it w/the white quilt batting and let a hose from your pump run over it and back into the pond to collect the green which would help clear up the pond quicker. You will need to clean off the quilt batting w/a hose often by laying it out on the grass or cement.

IMG_6090.JPG

or

IMG_6185.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if maybe going out at night w/a small flashlight might help to see if they are still there? You could take a plastic basket or milk crate and fill it w/the white quilt batting and let a hose from your pump run over it and back into the pond to collect the green which would help clear up the pond quicker. You will need to clean off the quilt batting w/a hose often by laying it out on the grass or cement.

View attachment 130084

or

View attachment 130085
Thank you, I’ll try anything!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A big thank you for the advice and here’s an update; having tried the quilt batting idea the water is much clearer! And guess what, all my fish have appeared and are happily swimming around!! Well chuffed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
If the quilt batting trick worked you might need to reassess your filtration system, as with just a little more ooompff it cleared up, which seems to say that you need a little more filtration. Most people go with a bog filter, which is extremely effective. Adding more plants can also help, especially ones that cover the surface of the water if it's in full sun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s a good point Phaewryn, I have fitted a finer filter mesh already and will investigate a bog filter perhaps. Thank you.

Ask a Question