New Pond High PH and Phosphates

Reaction score
I admit, I am very much a newbie at the whole pond thing but trying my best to learn as much as possible as quick as possible.

My pond is about 500 gallons, with a waterfall pushed by a 2200GPH pump. I have a combination of Koi and Goldfish in the pond. As the subject states, the pond is new - about 3 weeks old. Water tested perfect before adding the fish but after 2 days it got cloudy and had the water tested at the pond shop. At that time, ammonia and nitrites were high and they recommended changing the water, which I did a number of times and the water clarity did improve but was still reading high in ammonia and nitrites and high phosphates. So ... I cut back on feeding and ramped up my education. I was cleaning my filter media too aggressively with tap water and nothing was able to take hold. I bought some microbe-lift bacteria to apply to the media and decided not to clean the filter any more except maybe in a bucket of pond water to get the surface gunk off. I also decided to hold off on any more water changes for a while since adding fresh water constantly would be the same as washing the filter with tap water, more or less.

A week or so later, fish seem very happy, almost eating out of my hand but my water is still out of whack. Lots of algae growing on the rocks and water fall. Ammonia is now zero. Nitrites down to .25 (it was at .5 previously). PH is off the charts at 9.0 (or higher - that's as high as the card shows). And Phosphates are also quite high, though I can't recall the number. The water is still clearish. Not as clear as fresh tap water but I can see the fish quite easily even at the bottom.

So, I hope someone here can give me some advice on what to do with this young pond. Should I just wait a while and
things will align properly once the good bacteria multiply enough? Or do I need to address the PH and Phosphates?

Cheers,

Larry

Reaction score
Hi Larry, I do not know anything about water testing but wanted to share my experience with algae on rocks,if it is string algae it can be a pain but if it is carpet algae it is considered "good algae" and I personally love how it makes the pond look more natural. I currently have string algae in my waterfall stream and this year I am leaving it unless it decides to get into my pond,I am finding it filters the water before it hits the pond and it works for me :) I could put Eco-Blast on the stream and it will go away but I do what works and looks good to me. With your pond being new I would hold off on feeding your fish for awhile as it will create more fish waste. You need lots of patience while the pond becomes balanced.Also I do not see any mention of plants,plants help out tremendously. Would love to see a picture. Have a great day. Amber

Reaction score
Hi Amber,

Thanks for the reply. I do have quite a few plants in, on and around the pond. I have a water lilly and a bunch of some type of seaweed that comes in a bag which I attach to rocks with rubber bands and sink them. Also water hyacinthes and small floating plants. Above the surface, I have a couple of irises and a few other plants that I can't

Larry

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Welcome Larry. It is going to take time for you pond to cycle, around 3 months. Try not to overfeed during this period. Kio produce alot of waste and can grow quite large. How many koi do you have? 500 gallon is kind of on the small side for koi but great for your goldfish or add some shubunkins.

Reaction score
I have 6 Koi - 3 about 6-8 inches and 3 smaller about 4 inches. 5 Goldfish are about 5-6 inches. I am trying to limit their feeding to as much as they will consume in about 2 minutes but there's plenty of algae that they seem to be feasting on between feedings.

I think I'm at the upper limit, if not over, for the number or fish for my pond but hope to get it stabilized. I think my main issues now are phosphates and PH that are both too high. Is this just a waiting game at this point?

Cheers,

Larry

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Your ph is high. What does you water supply read that you are using? I cant comment on the phosphates as I have never checked mine. Also what kind of filter do you have?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
What planting media are you using? This could effect ph.

So the scrubbie acts as a mechanical and a bio filter? Is it one scrubbie or are there a few? Have you reserched DIY bio filters? You are going to need more filtration with what your fish will produce. Not to discourage but the more bio filtration the better.

Reaction score
Yes, the scrubbie in the waterfall is both mechanical and bio filtration. I also have my pump at the bottom of the pond in a sort of bucket with the same scrubbie media on the bottom and top.

My irises are in pots that came from the garden store. The tops of the pots are above surface. My lilly is also in garden store pot but below the surface. Seems to be some kind of mud.

Cheers,

Larry

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It may be the dirt they are in. I only put clay in pots that go into the pond. They may have had fertilizer in the soil also.

kitty litter clay, the pure stuff, no additives.

Reaction score
Should I just wait a while longer before trying to adjust PH? It would be nice to get the phosphates down also. Remember my pond is still young, only about 1 month old and I did do some drastic water changes at the start that likely cleaned out my bacteria out of my filter.

Cheers,

Larry

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Larry, I wouldn't do anything until you found out WHAT is causing it to get so high. Phosphates are usually introduced either in well water source or by stones, planting media or water run off from the yard into the pond. The first course of action is find out where it's coming from and fix that. Fixing the water now means it's still going to come right back until you know what is causing it.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
You need to figure out why its raising the ph so much. Is this a solid reading am/pm? Or does it fluctuate am/pm? I know you can use crushed oyster shells to keep ph stable but am not sure if it has a lowering effect.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
yeah...crushed ouster shells work great as a buffer...i would definately add some as soon as the source of the high ph is located and rid of.... stone, and concrete are the usual suspects in a high ph situation. especially in 'tap wate' with a stable 7.5 ph.

Ask a Question