New pond ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been looking at a lot of photos of small garden ponds. I know nothing about pumps and pond equipment. The attached photo is a small fish pond. http://aribe.net/landscape/3791-garden-pond-kit.html

Would someone please explain the setup. What is the pump on the side and what is it for? Is it a fountain pump , a filter, or something else? Thanks for any informaiton.

Mike C

Attachments

• aeration- Copy.jpg
    aeration- Copy.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 246
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Mike welcome to the forum.
That is actually a pump you outside the pond. But is connected via a hose to filter pads in the pond. It sucks water through the pads to filter the water and spits back the water back into the pond. I hope this helps and good luck with you pond build. It would be good if you learn the biological aspects of the pond thoroughly. As only then you can make the most appropriate decisions on your equipment.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hmm ... that simply looks like a pump sitting on the edge of the pond, being used as a water "spitter". There is a hole in the pond that is pulling the water up through the pump, then dumping it back into the pond. What Alpravinosh posted above is a totally different set up.or might be. That's a fountain set up, with a filter in the pond. While it's very likely there is a filter in the pond, it's not certain. I've never seen a pump sitting on the edge pumping water like that. It's actually very dangerous, as if something (like a dog or critter) bumped that pump and turned it, the water could be shooting over the edge of the pond the opposite way, and would soon empty the pond. Not good!
Read some of the pond build threads on this forum, and ask lots of questions as you read. People on this forum are more than happy to help. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So sorry if I made an error but I did find the photos of that pump- filter under the link that Mica posted the pond. It could be that fountain extension was removed and the water was allowed to flow back in. But sorry again if I did make a mistake.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have seen a lot of set-ups but I have never seen a set-up like that. Since this is a photo from some Landscaping website, it is hard to imagine exactly what it might be, but I would discount it because it is certainly not a proper way to set up a pond.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If you look around the perimeter of the pond edge in the background, you'll see that the "splash" created from the pump water hitting the rocks is bound to evaporate. This is one of the primary causes of gradual water loss in pond.

That looks to me like a pump, sucking the water out of the pond and spewin' it back in from it's outlet.

Kind of a dumb set-up, if you ask me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you are right more water .It is great for aeration but I can see in pic that it is a little damp under it also .Plus that plant next to it will help it divert water.I see a label on the side of it ,could you post a pic of the label

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
if they are looking for ideas that sure is not a good one and sure would not go on that sight again.They sell these kits but most are never good ideas and cost more than buying the stuff as each piece.You really want your pond to be yours .Best is to figure out how big you want and a budget and what plans you have for fish.My first pond and second pond and third pond and final pond all had budgets :);).My sons did chip in and buy my pumps :) .Sorry did not see that was making lunch ,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses to my post. Some good points are raised that I need to research more. I like the idea of a spitter that is not ornamental but can see the disadvantages in this setup. MC

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use pvc pipe hooked to my sump pump hose I have connected to my pumps .I have one in the waterfall pond and one under my bridge .Cheap to make and works great

Attachments

• sunny day 015.JPG
    sunny day 015.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 174
  • pond leak or waterfall pond leak 001.JPG
    pond leak or waterfall pond leak 001.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 216
  • pond leak or waterfall pond leak 003.JPG
    pond leak or waterfall pond leak 003.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 182
  • pond leak or waterfall pond leak 040.JPG
    pond leak or waterfall pond leak 040.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 186
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mike, I used rigid PVC pipe systems in a waterfall feature that I had in my back garden, which I am in the process of expanding into a much larger fish pond, although I have not settled on the type of fish or the size of the pond just yet. The waterfall I have build has several pumps with water being introduced into the main stream in several different areas to form a cascade. Where you are going to be having flowing water of any kind you are going to need a decent pump and a high quality PVC pipe system. I struggled with finding a decent pump supplier, and in the end purchased two pumps second hand from a friend. However for my rigid pipe system I found an online company in the UK called www.eeziflo-fittings.com. These guys sell a whole range of rigid PVC pipe, fittings and valves which is ideal if you are looking to add a waterfall style feature to your small pond. They are very competitive on price and gave me good service, I would really recommend them. I don't know a lot about large ponds as such but I'm happy to advise you if you are looking at adding a waterfall feature to the pond. Waterfall features without fish are much easier to maintain than your standard small back garden pond, you may want to consider one of these to add an attractive feature to your property.

Ask a Question